Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/06 21:49:22 UTC

Issue in installing Hive

I'm trying to run Hive 0.5 release with Hadoop 0.20.2 on a standalone
machine. HDFS + Hadoop is working, but I'm not able to get Hive running.
When I do "SHOW TABLES", I get the following error:
http://pastebin.com/XvNR0U86

What am I doing wrong here?

Amandeep

Amandeep Khurana
Computer Science Graduate Student
University of California, Santa Cruz

Re: Issue in installing Hive

Posted by Carl Steinbach <ca...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Amandeep,

This problem arises if you grab a copy of the Hadoop tar ball and attempt
to build it. The tar ball comes packaged with a copy of core-3.1.1.jar in
the lib/
subdirectory, and building the package results in another copy of
core-3.1.1.jar
located in build/ivy/lib/Hadoop/common/core. bin/hadoop adds both jars to
the
CLASSPATH, which causes the DataNucleus ORM to complain. The quick fix
is delete the copy of core-3.1.1.jar located
in build/ivy/lib/Hadoop/common/core.

Thanks.

Carl