Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/07 14:02:59 UTC

GEP and Java6

I have seen a number of problems with particularly new users running
Geronimo with GEP, and having problems.  They switch to Java 5, and
things work for them.  For GEP 2.1.2, which we want to get out ASAP
now that G2.1.2 is released, I think GEP should detect Java 6 when a
Geronimo server is defined, and warn the user of problems, and suggest
they use Java 5.  I am not clear on the Geronimo server's position on
Java6.  My understanding is that Geronimo is certified on Java 5, and
will run on Java 6.  We'll want GEP to support/work on Java6 ASAP.
Perhaps we should have a task-list JIRA for Java 6 issues.

Ted Kirby

Re: GEP and Java6

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
D'Oh!  Thanks Tim.  What does "supported" mean, anyway?  Given that
users are hitting this problem, maybe we need to be more visible in
our warnings.  Let's see where we get to with this Java 6 JIRA in the
next day or two, and adjust our documentation and possibly code
accordingly.

Thanks,
Ted Kirby

Re: GEP and Java6

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Ted Kirby wrote:
> I have seen a number of problems with particularly new users running
> Geronimo with GEP, and having problems.  They switch to Java 5, and
> things work for them.  For GEP 2.1.2, which we want to get out ASAP
> now that G2.1.2 is released, I think GEP should detect Java 6 when a
> Geronimo server is defined, and warn the user of problems, and suggest
> they use Java 5.  I am not clear on the Geronimo server's position on
> Java6.  My understanding is that Geronimo is certified on Java 5, and
> will run on Java 6.  We'll want GEP to support/work on Java6 ASAP.
> Perhaps we should have a task-list JIRA for Java 6 issues.
>
> Ted Kirby

Tim McConnell