Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@mac.com> on 2012/02/23 03:16:46 UTC

[LAZY] Commit changes to build_framework.xml to enable building the SDK for different versions of the flash player and for different locales

Hi,

In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX-14 I've provided a patch to improve the SDK build process so that it  can target a wider ranges of Flash Player versions and locales.

Changes to the build_framework.xml file include:
- Enables compilation of the framework SDK for flash player 10.2, 10.3, 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2 beta
- Enables compilation of the framework for a locale other than en_US
- To compile for a different flash player version or local values only need to be changed in one place (build.properties)
- Downloads the correct playerglobal.swc if it is available (including 11.2 beta)
- By default the build will compile for Flash Player 11.1 and the en_US locale (no change from existing build process)
- Creates flex_config.xml (from flex_config.template.xml) with correct flash player and swf version numbers specified in build.properties

The changes to build_framework.xml (if you look at the patch) are actually relatively minor.

Any FP version other than 11.1/en_US is obviously use at your own risk and some features (in particular mobile features) may not work or may not meet performance requirements.

The goal here is to provide a simpler path forward for people on earlier versions of the flash player to move forward and using the Apache Flex SDK.

I have testing this build script by compiling for all versions of the flash player (10.2, 10.3, 11.0, 11.1 and 11.2) above for multiple locales (en_US and en_AU) linking and running with a large Flex application on the correct flash player version. (What else do you do with your time on a Saturday?) Swfdump was used to check that the swfs has been compiled for the correct flash player version. I know that this is not comprehensive testing but think that the changes are a worthy addition to the SDK. Once Mustella is donated I'll look into seeing what further testing can be done.

What would be checked in is:
- Changes to build_framework.xml
- A new build.properties file containing the flash player version and locale to compile the SDK against
- Simple changes to flex_config.xml including it being renamed to flex_config.template.xml

Carol has requested that the suggested changes to the numerous build.xml scripts not be checked in until further changes are committed and I'm fine with that.

Worse case if these changes do cause an issue with future checkins the files can be reverted in SVN to what they currently are. I'll then recreate the patch to work with the new submitted files.

Thanks,
Justin