Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> on 2020/03/12 18:46:42 UTC

(anonymous) github user commits

This week I was very surprised to see commits from the user call "github" in Jenkins:
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-shared-utils/job/master/changes

IMO we shouldn't want these kind of commits.
Based on the most recent activities I had a chat with Sylwester en Elliotte.

The reason is the author of these commits was Elliotte, but the committer Github
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-shared-utils.git&a=commit&h=8ed3e6827885a161a8802100f0f50968555356b0

Elliotte tried to figure it out, and his conclusion was that in case he squashed and merged commits via github, the committer became github.

If this is indeed the case, we should always ask the author to squash his commits so we can track the commit better, and it makes it easier to find possible regressions (and revert them when necessary)

Not sure if this would help, but my WOW is creating a patch from github, and applying it to the gitBOX url. Squashing and merging it from here would at least make me the committer.

It there are other opinions, ideas, please share.

Robert

Re: (anonymous) github user commits

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,
If I can I want show to you some advantages/disadvantages as I see as
collaborator to external project. Maybe some of them you will like.

I've analyzed some commits what I did to maven-invoker-plugin project.

I used:  git log --graph --show-signature --format=full

*1. commit made manually - without using github ui*
https://github.com/apache/maven-invoker-plugin/pull/13

* commit 808d2d20f16771aa18ee87a53b52e70b031d53a0

| Author: Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>

| Commit: Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@apache.org>

|     [MINVOKER-257] Test code should meet checkstyle requirements

|     Closes #13

A:
 - no github user
 - committer and reviewer are known for git history

D:
 - manually work
 - lost my pgp signature -* so commit may have been changed*

*2. probably rebase and merge or squash at github*
https://github.com/apache/maven-invoker-plugin/pull/12

* commit a9e215cded354f25a81c616cd8aa8af767665494

noreply@github.com>" [ultimate]

| Author: Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>

| Commit: GitHub <no...@github.com>

|     [MINVOKER-256] upgrade parent pom to latest version - 34 (#12)

A:
 - no manually work
 - committer is known from git history

D:
 - reviewer isn't known for git history
 - lost my pgp signature
 - github as commiter
 - pgp signature from github user - maybe advantage - we have some check of
integrity

*3*.* merg pull request at github*
https://github.com/apache/maven-invoker-plugin/pull/9

*   commit 77e3a86e0ff10dd016382621d40a4ca0bbcb7883

|\  gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 17 22:12:29 2019 CET

| | gpg:                using RSA key 4AEE18F83AFDEB23

| | gpg: Good signature from "GitHub (web-flow commit signing) <
noreply@github.com>" [ultimate]

| | Merge: a9ce363 bbdaabc

| | Author: Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>

| | Commit: GitHub <no...@github.com>

| |

| |     some log is too verbose in normal run

| |

| * commit bbdaabc1f319335ab8478016a45cdfe93fd0bae4

|/  gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 17 21:22:02 2019 CET

|   gpg:                using RSA key
6636274B2E8BEA9D15A61143F8484389379ACEAC

|   gpg: Good signature from "Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>"
[ultimate]

|   Author: Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>

|   Commit: Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>

|       some log is too more verbose in normal run

A:
 - no manually work
 - committer and reviewer are known for git history
 - preserve original commit and pgp signature of commiter - no change to
commit body

D:
 - two commits - but one is merge commit
 - github as commiter in merge commit

#################################

Personally I like and use option 3.
Repository can be configured which option is allowed.

I think, that every author of change should do the most of work as is
possible and reviewer should do review and do one action as easy as
possible.

sob., 21 mar 2020 o 19:53 Benjamin Marwell <bm...@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Checkstyle builds will fail of there is more than one commit in a PR.
> Not saying I like it, but it's an option.
>

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 16:17 Elliotte Rusty Harold, <el...@ibiblio.org>
> wrote:
>
> > So it appears that if I do all squashing and merging locally and then
> > push directly to master, I get listed as committer and author:
> >

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-shared-utils.git&a=commit&h=4264899a152a6205b0f34a32e9c947edcd9cb1e8
> >
> > Github is no longer listed as the committer. This is what we want.
> >
> > However this is quite cumbersome, and I'm confident I'm going to mix
> > this up, probably sooner rather than later. E.g. I might forget or
> > squash or worse yet push commits into master I didn't want to push.
> >
> > Does anyone have an alternate workflow that lets us use the Github
> > buttons? If not, is keeping Github out of the committer messages
> > critical? It seems Author is still accurate.
> >

> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:46 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > This week I was very surprised to see commits from the user call
> > "github" in Jenkins:
> > >

> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-shared-utils/job/master/changes
> > >

> > > IMO we shouldn't want these kind of commits.
> > > Based on the most recent activities I had a chat with Sylwester en
> > Elliotte.
> > >
> > > The reason is the author of these commits was Elliotte, but the
> > committer Github
> > >

> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-shared-utils.git&a=commit&h=8ed3e6827885a161a8802100f0f50968555356b0
> > >

> > > Elliotte tried to figure it out, and his conclusion was that in case he
> > squashed and merged commits via github, the committer became github.
> > >
> > > If this is indeed the case, we should always ask the author to squash
> > his commits so we can track the commit better, and it makes it easier to
> > find possible regressions (and revert them when necessary)
> > >
> > > Not sure if this would help, but my WOW is creating a patch from
> github,
> > and applying it to the gitBOX url. Squashing and merging it from here
> would
> > at least make me the committer.
> > >
> > > It there are other opinions, ideas, please share.
> > >
> > > Robert
> >

> > --
> > Elliotte Rusty Harold
> > elharo@ibiblio.org

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: (anonymous) github user commits

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: (anonymous) github user commits

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:46 PM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> This week I was very surprised to see commits from the user call "github" in Jenkins:
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-shared-utils/job/master/changes
>

> IMO we shouldn't want these kind of commits.
> Based on the most recent activities I had a chat with Sylwester en Elliotte.
>
> The reason is the author of these commits was Elliotte, but the committer Github
> https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=maven-shared-utils.git&a=commit&h=8ed3e6827885a161a8802100f0f50968555356b0
>

> Elliotte tried to figure it out, and his conclusion was that in case he squashed and merged commits via github, the committer became github.
>
> If this is indeed the case, we should always ask the author to squash his commits so we can track the commit better, and it makes it easier to find possible regressions (and revert them when necessary)

That sounds backwards. Squashing is what makes Github the committer.

Do we care if Github is the committer? Squashing is pretty common. The
developer is still listed as the author. Can we simply look at the
author and ignore the committer?

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: (anonymous) github user commits

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 6:22 AM Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:

> Yes, once confirmed that the branch builds fine on our Jenkins, we should do the "squash and merge". (we should already be happy with a proper PR)
> My experience so far was like you describe, but it doesn't explain why Elliotte causes "github" to become the committer.
> One possible difference I see is that he's both the author and committer.
> I never push my commits via github, but always via gitbox.

My current hypothesis, based on limiting testing, is that anytime
someone uses the "Squash and Merge" button on Github, then Github is
marked as the committer.

It's possible, as Robert suggests, that this is only the case when the
original committer is doing the "Squash and Merge" and not when
someone else pushes the button but I have not tested that.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: (anonymous) github user commits

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Several Apache project have a script to perform this stuff

I really love this kind of scripts
You can find an example here (1)

Such scripts:
- squash all commits into one
- keep original author
- ask for a meaningful commit message
- interact with JIRA
- set Resolved status and fixVersion
- all is interactive with very sensible defaults

With this kind of script merging a PR is very simple

I am using such tools in Zookeeper and Bookkeeper project but I know that
other projects have it, they are based on an original script, adapted to
the specific rules/habits of a project
I also have adapted such scripts to my company projects

Enrico

(1) https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/blob/master/zk-merge-pr.py

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> Pushing for testing on Jenkins ...and afterwards merging the single
> commit back to master (no merge commits)...
>

> Also what happens here several times is this: (Just an example:
> maven-artifact-transfer):
>
> commit 3338744598e195454f4c5ed1187ea192adfbcf97
> Author: Piotrek Żygieło
> Commit: Piotrek Żygieło
>
> Remove unused field
>
> So this makes it impossible to check who has integrated that patch into
> the code base...
>
> Or as a different example:
>
> commit a80f5cc026da0e3d98ec720b363728f4509293ff
> Author: Maarten Mulders
> Commit: Karl Heinz Marbaise
>
> [MDEP-626] Upgrade struts and xerces due to CVEs
> o This newer version doesn't depend on struts2-core or xercesImpl.
> o Upgrade Doxia and add doxia-core
>

> That shows exactly who has merged that...and who the committer was...

Olivier Lamy

Re: (anonymous) github user commits

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 at 01:26, Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> wrote:

> [...]
> commit back to master (no merge commits)...
>

> Also what happens here several times is this: (Just an example:
> maven-artifact-transfer):
>
> commit 3338744598e195454f4c5ed1187ea192adfbcf97
> Author: Piotrek Żygieło <pz...@users.noreply.github.com>
> Commit: Piotrek Żygieło <pz...@users.noreply.github.com>
>
>      Remove unused field
>
> So this makes it impossible to check who has integrated that patch into
> the code base...
>
> Or as a different example:
>
> commit a80f5cc026da0e3d98ec720b363728f4509293ff
> Author: Maarten Mulders <m....@xs4all.nl>
> Commit: Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@apache.org>
>
>      [MDEP-626] Upgrade struts and xerces due to CVEs
>       o This newer version doesn't depend on struts2-core or xercesImpl.
>       o Upgrade Doxia and add doxia-core
>

> That shows exactly who has merged that...and who the committer was...

Olivier Lamy

Re: (anonymous) github user commits

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,