Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Juan Pedro López Sáez <jp...@altiria.com> on 2005/01/12 10:49:01 UTC

SSL app - the document contains no data

Helo everybody.

I have a problem with a SSL web application.

This are the global settings:

- Tomcat 4.1.27 running on a Linux Debian machine.
- SSL application configured in the web.xml file as follows:

<security-constraint>
<web-resource-collection>
<web-resource-name>Secured Application</web-resource-name>
<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
</web-resource-collection>
<auth-constraint>
<role-name>securedrole</role-name>
</auth-constraint>
<user-data-constraint>
</user-data-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<login-config>
<auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
<realm-name>User identification</realm-name>
</login-config>

- User entry matching the "securedrole" role name in tomcat-users.xml
file.

- SSL connector configured in server.xml file as follows:

acceptCount="10" bufferSize="2048" compression="off"
connectionLinger="-1" connectionTimeout="60000"
connectionUploadTimeout="300000" debug="0" disableUploadTimeout="false"
enableLookups="true" maxKeepAliveRequests="100" maxProcessors="75"
minProcessors="5" port="443"
protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
proxyPort="0" redirectPort="443" scheme="https" secure="true"
serverSocketTimeout="0" tcpNoDelay="true" useURIValidationHack="true">
<Factory className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"
algorithm="SunX509" clientAuth="false"
keystoreFile="/usr/local/tomcat/conf/keystore" keystorePass="xxxx"
keystoreType="JKS" protocol="TLS" randomFile="/root/random.pem"
rootFile="/root/root.pem"/>
</Connector>

- Keystore file generated with the keytool program

When I first access the secured web application from a Mozilla
compatible browser, everything works correctly. I am asked to accept the
security certificate from the server and to logging with the secure
login and password.

Problems arise after a while, sometimes after browsing some pages, but
sometimes just after the initial entry page: the browser shows a pop-up
windows with "the document contains no data" message. In this situation
the access log I have set doesn't show any new line, so apparently no
new requests are hitting the server from my browser.

When this happens I have found no other mean to solve the problem than
restarting Tomcat, but it appears again after a while.

Using a IE browser the problems are the same, but there is no pop-up
message at all, simply the window keeps blank.

Does anybody know what could be happening? I'm almost sure that this has
something to do with the SSL setup, because if I remove the security
constraints in the web application, unsecureing it, there are no
problems at all.

Just to add another point: a little times, previous from the error, the
browser shows pages with some changes in the fonts: size and style. I
don't know whether this has someting to do...

Thank you very much.

	Juan Pedro López