Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Lerh Chuan Low <le...@instaclustr.com> on 2018/05/23 06:11:19 UTC

Running Kafka locally - no logs

Hi Kafka devs,

I've been trying to debug Kafka locally. I've been following the guides
available on the website/confluence, which are:

- Installing gradle (already have Java and Scala)
- git clone kafka
- cd git repository
- gradle
- ./gradlew idea

I then open IntellIJ IDEA and open the kafka repository. It works! The only
problem is that it refuses to log anything.

​
I have verified that Log4j JAR is in the classpath

In this case I've purposely removed log4j12:1.7.21 because some
Stackoverflow answers suggested using 1 and only 1 logging framework JAR.
It still outputs the same error message.

I also tried to specify the configurationFile explicitly using
-Dlog4j.configurationFile=config/log4j.properties (even though Log4J should
default to an Appender otherwise), it didn't work still (which is to be
expected I guess since SLF4J can't even find the Log4J implementation).

Not sure if anyone has any ideas or ran into this issue when running Kafka
from IntelliJ locally? I've been stuck on it for quite some time. If I
debug and check LoggerFactory#findPossibleStaticLoggerBinderPathSet(), it's
not able to find the SLF4J implementation. Is there anything else I need to
setup, or does Kafka log somewhere else?

Thanks!!

Lerh
​

Re: Running Kafka locally - no logs

Posted by Lerh Chuan Low <le...@instaclustr.com>.
Hey Manna,

Thanks for your quick reply. You're right - log4j JAR was not on my
classpath...I would've thought IntelliJ was smart enough to add the
external libraries to the classpath.

I have a workaround at the moment - I eventually decided to run ./gradlew
releaseTarGazAll, untar it, and then add the libs/ directory as a library
in IntelliJ IDEA. Then logging actually works because it can find the log4j
JAR!!

I'm new to gradle, but just wondering what did you mean by KAFKA_HOME/libs
folder? That folder doesn't exist in the repository, unless there's a
specific gradle task I can run to just create the libs/ directory and
populate it with the right JARs? I had a look through the build.gradle file
but am presently still confused.

Lerh

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.