Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com> on 2011/12/04 23:53:34 UTC

Working in Eclipse vs. IntelliJ

Checked out and built Mahout using IntelliJ and it was completely
painless. Doing the same with Eclipse (Indigo) and following our wiki
instructions to install m2e was not. The 1.0.100 version of m2e only
allowed me to check the integration subproject. This is not unique to
the particular version of m2e; with other versions I've seen similar
erratic performance. Even when it does finally install correctly, it
doesn't work very well, losing SVN connectivity, etc. I really hate it.

I am able to run mvn eclipse:eclipse and, using the .classpath file it
created in examples/, am able to create a single Eclipse project with
only three glitches:

    * Trunk has two copies of
      o/a/m/cf/taste/grouplens/GroupLensRecommender.java: one in
      integration/ and one in examples/.
    * Trunk has two copies of
      o/a/m/cf/taste/grouplens/GroupLensDataModel.java: also in
      integration/ and examples/.

These files are duplicates, the only difference is the order of imports.
Can I delete the examples/ copies?

    * Trunk has two copies of o/a/m/classifier/bayes/package-info.java:
      one in core/ and one in examples/. Actually there are many such
      files which contain no actual Java artifacts (there's even one in
      Hadoop).

These files seem to be related to package annotations, but do we need
them in both locations? If I remove the one in examples/ my project
compiles.

I'd switch to IntelliJ except for the huge effort in learning a new IDE.
Also, many corporate R&D labs (all the ones I've worked for in the last
10 years) still use Eclipse so it seems like it ought not to be so
painful. Did we paint ourselves into an IDE corner on purpose?

Re: Working in Eclipse vs. IntelliJ

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
I use m2e to import and build out the Maven project set. Then, edit and run
unit tests.  The full Maven build I do on the command line. And, run
bin/mahout as well.

Eclipse is great for editing and running unit tests; do packaging with ant
or maven. Or shell scripts.

Lance

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Working in Eclipse vs. IntelliJ

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
#1 yeah there is not a great reason for this. The one in integration/ is
really the extra one. It's there so that the web app example has an example
to run, without depending on examples/, but, I'm just going to delete it.

Likewise I'll merge those two package-info.java classes.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
But we definitely wind up sounding like one anyway.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Cool! Glad to hear it.

On Dec 6, 2011, at 2:04 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov wrote:

> finding a (java) type in eclipse: ctrl-shift-T. Finding a resource
> (i.e. file) : ctrl-shft-R. Experience is virtually identical to IJ's.
> :)
>
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 3:34 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Can't help but join in and give my IJ testimonial and/or Eclipse FUD, depending on which one you use. :-)
>>
>> I'm like Ted, I've got 10+ years of IJ keymappings in my fingers.  I just find IJ feels like it was done by people who get how programmers want to work.   For instance, I was looking up Mahout files w/ a user in Eclipse the other day.  We knew what the file name was.  That seemingly simple act in IJ is one shortcut (apple-n) plus 2 or 3 letters (the first few letters of the name, else the "inner caps" of the name, i.e. typing "EDM" gets me the EuclideanDistanceMeasure -- note, this also works for symbol names and regular file names, albeit w/ slightly different shortcuts).  Him doing it in Eclipse involved at least four mouse clicks to get to the search menu, etc. and then typing out the name of the class.  It was painful.  Of course, there may be shorter ways, but as a long time Eclipse user, this user didn't know them.  I found that sad, as it was literally the difference between 2-3 seconds versus 30-60 seconds (including the search time) in Eclipse just to find one file that we already knew the name of but not the package.  Multiply that by the number of times you look up a file in a day.  YMMV and perhaps it is FUD, but that has been my observation of most Eclipse users.
>>
>> I also find in trainings that I give, Eclipse users always struggle with project setup.  Now, this could be because of my IJ bias, but it just doesn't seem to be as intuitive to them to get started, even though both sets of users start from the same base.
>>
>> FWIW, IntelliJ has an "Eclipse" keymap mode.  Go to the IJ settings (preferences).  Choose Keymap.  Choose Eclipse.  They also have Netbeans, Emacs and JBuilder.  In other words, your 10 years of Eclipse may not be wasted.
>>
>> Last but not least, ASF committers can get the full version of IJ for free for open source work.
>>
>> And no, I am not a paid spokesperson for IJ!
>>
>> -Grant
>>
>> On Dec 6, 2011, at 12:59 AM, Dmitriy Lyubimov wrote:
>>
>>> M2e plugin never worked fir me. Instead, i just use eclipse maven plugin to
>>> genrate eclipse projects and paths.
>>>
>>> Of course full fledged compilation is always maven native. But eclipse
>>> incremental compiler works too and it is fast.
>>>
>>> Never had any problems with the scheme.

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Working in Eclipse vs. IntelliJ

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Lyubimov <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
I think we are pretty fine on this. While I think we may have become de
facto more aligned with IJ simply because it supports Maven better than
Eclipse and is thus easier to use, I don't see this as a policy
decision. I did misconstrue some of your earlier remarks on that topic
but that is all clear now. If I had Ted's 10+ years of IJ keystroke
mappings and not my own Eclipse mappings I probably would never have
raised this as an issue.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
That is my feeling as well.  We support maven and don't force the IDE on
our users.

Conversely, we shouldn't force IDE's on each other either.  I use IJ due to
historical reasons (10+ years of key bindings in my fingers) and am happy
about the good maven integration that it provides.  The IntelliJ strategy
of making a maven project be just another way of describing a project so
that there isn't any integration.

So I feel like making eclipse play nice with maven as an itch that I don't
have, but clearly others do.  I am happy to go with the flow in terms of
adapting to changes that others make to simplify life, but I don't have the
background or time to make the changes myself.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Dec 4, 2011, at 8:04 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> The problem is that I, personally, discovered that I could not
> liberate enough spare neurons to learn a new IDE.
>
> If you can add intellij helpfulness to the mahout tree, please do.

That's the beauty of IJ, it doesn't need any.  It pretty much just works.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <jd...@windwardsolutions.com>.
+1 Thanks Benson, for putting it so succinctly. My Mahout life with
Eclipse began to deteriorate when we adopted Maven and as we have taken
more advantage of its features it has gotten worse. It is almost
unusable now. Your description of the cause fits the symptoms perfectly.
I think I will invest some more time in IntelliJ.