Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mattom <ma...@gmx.at> on 2005/04/07 11:23:17 UTC

Dynamic generation of CForms

Hi all !

After mastering my custom generator problems I am facing CForms now.

What I want to achieve is:
o) query my db access objects for metadata - this will give me xml trees
describing the tree structure of my db data
o) transform this metadata xml to a CForms definition
o) render the form

I had a look at the form samples and found some useful info in the form1
example.

This example does almost everything the way I'd like to do it, calling a
custom action that generates the form instance, and do the rendering in
the pipeline. All I have to do, is to replace the "static" filebased
generation of the form instance by my dynamically generated form definition.

Now I am not sure what the approach would be, should I

o) Stay with a custom action, query my db object for the xml metadata
and do a xslt transformation in the action to get my form instance
or
o) Do a pipeline  approach, with a generator getting xml from my db
layer, then a pipeline xslt transformation

Thank you,
Tom

Re: Dynamic generation of CForms

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 7 avr. 05, à 11:23, Mattom a écrit :
> ...Now I am not sure what the approach would be, should I..

> ...o) Do a pipeline  approach, with a generator getting xml from my db
> layer, then a pipeline xslt transformation..

Certainly the best way - and make sure to make this pipeline's
intermediate stages available (via sitemap views for example) for
debugging.

-Bertrand

Re: Dynamic generation of CForms

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 11:23 +0200, Mattom wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> After mastering my custom generator problems I am facing CForms now.
>
> What I want to achieve is:
> o) query my db access objects for metadata - this will give me xml trees
> describing the tree structure of my db data
> o) transform this metadata xml to a CForms definition
> o) render the form
>
> I had a look at the form samples and found some useful info in the form1
> example.
>
> This example does almost everything the way I'd like to do it, calling a
> custom action that generates the form instance, and do the rendering in
> the pipeline. All I have to do, is to replace the "static" filebased
> generation of the form instance by my dynamically generated form definition.
>
> Now I am not sure what the approach would be, should I
>
> o) Stay with a custom action, query my db object for the xml metadata
> and do a xslt transformation in the action to get my form instance
> or

with that approach you will heavily miss up concerns.

> o) Do a pipeline  approach, with a generator getting xml from my db
> layer, then a pipeline xslt transformation

that seems to be the far more cleaner design.

> Thank you,
> Tom

HTH
--