Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/03 19:47:46 UTC

Proposal: make collections releases independent of the rest of Mahout

I propose to disconnect collections from the aggregate project and put
it on its own release cycle.

This was originally someone else's idea when we started on it.

Collections is useful in its own right, and I'd like to make fixes to
it available without having the whole rest of Mahout reach a release
point.

I confess that the slf4j dependency in collections is a very strong
local motivation to me, but it also seems right in principle.

When we go TLP, we can organize this more coherently in svn, but for
now we can leave it where it is, but fix up the poms.

This strikes me as consistent with the idea of marinating with
possible intent that it would become its own thing some day.

Re: Proposal: make collections releases independent of the rest of Mahout

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
We gain the ability to release collections more frequently. *because*
it is less mature, it needs that.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I count enough votes. This vote is closed.

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Indeed. Off I go.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Very cool.  Very exciting.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
I guess I'm fine with whatever, making fast releases of collections is
in fact pretty cool, it will give us practice with making releases in mahout
in general.  And if we can do this for mahout-math as well, some of us who
care about, for example, eventually adding unit tests for all of the old
Colt
stuff, can do so bit by bit, and undeprecate code which is now tested, and
then re-release with new version number frequently there as well.

I'm in favor, I guess, of:

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The Lucene/Solr community have decided to loosely couple release schedules
and explicitly decided to not lock version numbers.  One of their arguments
was that it would confuse users, which doesn't apply for us.  The other
argument was that either side should be free to have a release that was
completely compatible without the other side having to bump version number.
This especially applies to major version numbers.

The question is the degree of coupling.  I expect that we will have nearly
zero coupling between collections releases and mahout releases, if only
because there should be a vanishingly small number of collections releases.
In some sense, tying the collections and core version numbers together
should be about as compelling as, say, tying mahout to hadoop releases.  We
may need to have a new Mahout version when 0.21 or hadoop 1.0 comes out, but
we definitely should be free to release many times before that happens.  The
only difference is that with collections, we will really have a say in
whether the maven artifact gets pushed onto the main repositories.

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Substance:

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I confess that the slf4j dependency in collections is a very strong
>> local motivation to me, but it also seems right in principle.
>
> I just killed this BTW. (There was one dangling log statement... not
> worth a dependency.)

Yes, thank you.

My selfish short-term goal is to get a release with the log dependency
removed out before Mahout 0.4 :-).

>> When we go TLP, we can organize this more coherently in svn, but for
>> now we can leave it where it is, but fix up the poms.
>
> Actually it seems like this a valid subproject of a Mahout TLP in its
> own right, if that would be a useful middle-ground status.

I'm not trying to suggest anything different. I'm opposed to having
'separate committers', but I'm happy to have multiple releasable
components all in the Mahout TLP.

>> This strikes me as consistent with the idea of marinating with
>> possible intent that it would become its own thing some day.
>
> Yes it's already its own module, which helps manage it independently.
> At the moment that means anyone can depend on it, and only it, via
> Maven, which is 80% of the value.
>
> I think it probably needs a fair bit of API rethinking and cleanup to
> truly stand as a general purpose and reusable component, but that can
> happen.

No argument there.

Practical point: it would be, all joking aside, good to make a very
prompt release of this so that the rest of Mahout 0.4-SNAPSHOT could
depend on it.

If no one protests, I'll do the POM surgery in a couple of days.

Re: Proposal: make collections releases independent of the rest of Mahout

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.