Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ferenc Toth <ft...@eu.infobal.com> on 2003/02/12 16:10:28 UTC

Increasing detail level at crash

Hi

I've looked at google, but didn't find an answer to my question.

We've developed a java program that is using log4j for logging. We'd
like to have detailed error logs available if the program crashes.
Leaving the logger level at DEBUG all the time is not an option.

I've tried to use two appenders, one with INFO and one with DEBUG log
level for the same loggers, but it looks like log level is assigned to
loggers and not to appenders. Am I right?

We're now thinking about writing a new appender that would get all the
logs store them in memory and would pass INFO (configurable) to the
appropriate other appender. If dump() is called from the code it would
then dump all the logs it stores in memory, that is the relevant debug
logs just before the crash.

Our program has a FatalError class that is called before we forcibly
stop the program. Kind of a trap message :), so it would be a perfect
place to call newAppender.dump().

My question is, did anyone ever wrote something similar? Any
suggestions, comments on the idea?

Thanks.