Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Tom Calloway <to...@earthlink.net> on 2004/09/27 23:33:32 UTC

choosing Lenya for legislative documentation

Hi,

I am looking for a CMS that can handle highvolume traffic and a high volume of xml text from legislative proceedings.

My website will by like www.meetup.com, except that there will be extensive text from decisions reached at meetings on motions based on parliamentary procedure.  As an xml model, I'm looking at some efforts to standardize an xml [DTD?] for legislatures.

I also need an mysql database to catalog users of the website along with their text, so it looks like that is possible with cocoon, when mysql is preferable to xml.

Can anyone offer me information on other factors to consider or perhaps other CMSs to consider?

I'm willing to learn, but I must admit that Lenya's current documentation and lack of an Admin GUI and other pre-built features (like extensions/plug-ins that other CMSs have) has me worried.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: choosing Lenya for legislative documentation

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Tom Calloway wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a CMS that can handle highvolume traffic and a high volume of xml text from legislative proceedings.
>
>My website will by like www.meetup.com, except that there will be extensive text from decisions reached at meetings on motions based on parliamentary procedure.  As an xml model, I'm looking at some efforts to standardize an xml [DTD?] for legislatures.

you might want to use DocBook. If I remember correctly then the state of
Colorado wanted to use DocBook for its regulations, but I am not sure if
they did in the end.

>I also need an mysql database to catalog users of the website along with their text, so it looks like that is possible with cocoon, when mysql is preferable to xml.

that shouldn't be a problem, but maybe I don't fully understand.
Can you explain a bit more?

>Can anyone offer me information on other factors to consider or perhaps other CMSs to consider?

without being Lenya-centric, but I think if you want to do content
management where the content is XML then Lenya/Cocoon is the perfect choice.

Otherwise youl will find other CMSs listed at OSCOM http://www.oscom.org
(btw, tomorrow will be the 3-day OSCOM 4 with Apache track conference in
Zurich ;-)

>I'm willing to learn, but I must admit that Lenya's current documentation and lack of an Admin GUI and other pre-built features (like extensions/plug-ins that other CMSs have) has me worried.

what do you think is missing from the Admin GUI?

What extensions/plug-ins are you missing?

Michi

>Thanks,
>
>Tom

Michael Wechner

Re: choosing Lenya for legislative documentation

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
This could be interesting for those interested in XML and law - who can read
German:

XML-Standard für gerichtliche Entscheidungen
http://edvgt.jura.uni-sb.de/Tagung00/ak00/xml2000.htm

XJustiz - Elektronischer Rechtsverkehr mit XML
http://www.bundesgerichtshof.de/presse/xjustiz.php

(I know that court documents and legislative documents are not the same.)

Cheers,
Andreas

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

--