Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/07/09 21:56:39 UTC

gump n' magic update

Status concerning gump and magic - there are two projects currently
defined in the svn linked gump group for avalon-tools.

    * magic
    * avalon-tools-magic

The magic definition is basically a build of magic by ant whereas the
avalon-tools-magic project is a build of magic using magic.  Both are
currently building thanks to support and assistance from two really
helpful individuals - Adam Jack and Stefan Bodewig.

Not everything is solved just yet - Magic needs to be able to construct
classloaders based on compile, build, test and runtime dependency
information and gump does not "normally" allow this.  The successful
build is only successful because I'm passing an illegal value to gump
which triggers an error which circumvents gumps control over the
classloader world (an approach which will probably not make it to the
top-ten of the list gump best practices).

I've posted a summary of thoughts on this to the gump list and the
options available which IMO basically come down to some minor extensions
of gump (which may not be too popular) or additions to enable magic to
run as a build system.  Hopefully these options will get clarified
during the coming week.  There is also a question bootstrapping as magic
is capable of automatically generating the complete suite of gump
project definitions - something that in principal should occur before
gump commences execution.  We may want to think about what would be
needed to run magic as a standalone application - even if the criteria
is just for gump bootstrapping.

Anyway - irrespective of the above - it's probably worth our while
looking at setting up a private Avalon gump build relative to the svn
content.  This will let us do a lot more validation before unleashing
things or the broader community.

I'll post more news and events as this story unfolds.

Cheers, Steve.

Re: gump n' magic update

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> I have heard some horror stories about getting those Gump building
> boxes working, and we are somewhat in over our heads, as I don't think
> anyone with Python experience is interested in helping out...

Those were the bad old days & are part of what inspired me to tinker w/
Python Gump. ;-) It takes me about 10 minutes to set up a new Gump for my
local usage.

If one wanted to build the thing from scratch (from OS up) here is some good
information:

    http://wiki.apache.org/gump/BrutusConfig

Heck, folks w/ a better link than me & my modem could do this on their own
PC, it really doesn't need a server. For work I created an instance, copied
the minimal workspace in, added my work projects, and (over about 20 minutes
w/ gump/preview.py) trimmed a decent workset. That gump takes 20 minutes to
run, start to finish (including all the Ant/Jakarta stuff I depend upon).

If anybody is interested in trying, I'm game to work with them, so long as
contsructive feedback is gathered/reported.

Alternatively ... I think the "test" workspace on brutus could be used for
'targeted' runs, such as avalon* or whatever. I.e. a workspace that is
complete, but is available for focused on-demand testing. I don't know how
to allow folks to request a run w/o an account on the box, but a simple WWW
page w/ a single 'project list/expression' field could post to a script that
launched the test gump (but leverage the locking to only run one at once). I
kinda like this idea...

regards,

Adam

Re: gump n' magic update

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

Re: gump n' magic update

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

Good work, and yes, Stefan and Adam are examplary good with support
and lending helping hands.

> Anyway - irrespective of the above - it's probably worth our while
> looking at setting up a private Avalon gump build relative to the svn
> content.  This will let us do a lot more validation before unleashing
> things or the broader community.

I have heard some horror stories about getting those Gump building
boxes working, and we are somewhat in over our heads, as I don't think
anyone with Python experience is interested in helping out...

Good Luck.
Niclas