Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jan van den Berg <ja...@solcon.nl> on 2005/06/15 15:52:47 UTC

[users@httpd] Remote Logging access_log with syslog-ng

Hi,

(please ignore my last post)

Right now I have a syslog-ng server that logs all access_log files from
different virtual hosts in one big file.

But Im looking for a way to log accesslogs to  virtualhostname.log files
instead of one big file.

My setup:

CustomLog "| /usr/bin/logger -p local7.info" combined

This opens one Logger thread under the Apache main thread and puts all
the logger information in one big file.

The following setup does what I want; but this opens a bash thread under
Apache.. not something you want.

LogFormat "logger -t %v %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
\"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined2

CustomLog "|/bin/bash" combined2

With the following in syslog-ng.conf:

destination localhost_site_access{ file("/var/log/apache/$PROGRAM"); };

This works in a sense that it puts the different VirtualHost logs in
logs with their name. This is what I want but I don't want to use the
'bash' solution.

Maybe it's possible to hack /usr/bin/logger: I need a way to specify a
$PROGRAM name in syslog-NG. Or is their another solution?

Any tips?

Regards,

Jan