Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com> on 2009/11/01 18:11:33 UTC

Buildr or Gradle?

Hi.

I am a heavy Maven 2 user but lately I have been really tired of it. Been
looking at both buildr and gradle for some time now. Tried both buildr and
gradle in some real world settings. Right now I am favouring buildr since it
gives me a good feeling to have control over my build. But I am worrying
about the community. Seems that the gradle community is bigger and more
active than buildr. That is just my feeling.

In my build I have the need of building jars, wars and osgi modules. Could
someone give me a nice overview of pros/cons about buildr vs gradle?

BR,
Sten Roger Sandvik

Re: Buildr or Gradle?

Posted by Daniel Spiewak <dj...@gmail.com>.
Actually, Buildr works surprisingly well under Snow Leopard on MRI.  At
least, it does for me.  That restores the performance advantage without
killing Java 6 support.

Daniel

Re: Buildr or Gradle?

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM, Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>wrote:

> Hi Sten,
>
> please take a quick look at buildr4osgi if you need OSGi support.

I looked at that. Used Apache Felix bundle plugin for Maven and liked that
approach using Bnd. Is buildr4osgi using some sort of automatic manifest
creation?

Re: Buildr or Gradle?

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
Hi Sten,

Re: Buildr or Gradle?

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.

> As for Maven: did you look at maven-antrun-extended-plugin or the groovy
> support?

Have not  tested the extended antrun plugin. Uses the maven groovy plugin
now for special tasks, but I do not like it. Very difficult to follow the
build logic when you have all thoose different maven plugins. That's what I
like about buildr.

/srs

Re: Buildr or Gradle?

Posted by Ittay Dror <it...@tikalk.com>.

Re: Buildr or Gradle?

Posted by Sten Roger Sandvik <sr...@x3m.com>.
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM, Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I haven't taken a serious look at Gaddle's design, but if we take out
> individual features (which may evolve differently on both sides), I would
> think the main deciding factor is your desire to work with either Ruby or
> Groovy.

Groovy is easier for me (as a Java developer), but Ruby has more "real"
script feeling that I really enjoy.

> On bigger projects, it's likely that you'll either want to extend the build
> tool or find issues (bugs or otherwise) and at that point, your comfort
> level with the language itself becomes quite important if you need to dig
> into the source or debug what's happening.
>
> One particular thing I enjoy about Ruby is the "Ruby is Unix" mentality
> where you can (more) easily interface with other native *nix tools, use
> fork() and such.  If your approach is more towards abstracting away the
> operating system, and/or if all your libraries and tools are JVM-based,
> then
> this aspect may not carry as much weight.  (Example:  Buildr calls 'svn' or
> 'git' directly instead of using equivalent Java libraries)

That is actually a good thing. To much abstraction in the build system will
lead to more complex build systems. Like the feeling that it is simple and
right to the point. Maven is too heavy weight.

/srs

Re: Buildr or Gradle?

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
[...]

alex