Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by ajay_nair <pr...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/24 11:23:30 UTC

Using nutch 1.6 in Windows 7

0
down vote
favorite
I am trying to use nutch 1.6 from the windows environment but every time I
try to run as per the procedure given in the site Nutch Tuorial Apache I
always end up with the following exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of
path: \tmp\hadoop-ajayn\mapred\staging\ajayn-1231695575\.staging to 0700

I have been searching extensively over the net but there is no concrete
solution. Please note that I have no hadoop instances installed or running
in the system and my sole purpose is the try out nutch as a web crawling
agent.

Is it even possible to run nutch 1.6 in windows and if yes any pointers as
to how to go about it and avoid the above exception.

PS: if it helps, the /tmp/ folder has a Read Only attribute attached to it
and it does not change even if you try to do so. Also from cygwin I have
tried to set the file permissions 777, but every time I try to run the nutch
instance, a new folder eg: "ajayn-1231695575" is created that does not have
any execution rights.

Thanks

Ajay

Re: Using nutch 1.6 in Windows 7

Posted by Tejas Patil <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ajay,

Nutch has dependency on hadoop. Even if you dont setup hadoop explicitly,
nutch will have the hadoop-core jar and will run jobs in standalone mode of
hadoop.

I am not running Nutch over Windows so have no idea if nutch 1.2 is the
only way to go for windows environment.

thanks,
Tejas Patil
http://www.linkedin.com/in/tejaspatil1