Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie> on 2011/07/08 17:52:57 UTC

I cannot open Test plans

Hi there,

I cannot my test plan

error below:

2011/07/08 16:35:07 ERROR - jmeter.save.SaveService: Conversion error
com.though
tworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: null : null
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
cause-message       : null
class               : org.apache.jorphan.collections.ListedHashTree
required-type       :
org.apache.jmeter.testelement.property.TestElementProperty

path                :
/jmeterTestPlan/hashTree/hashTree/hashTree[4]/HTTPSampler[
35]/elementProp/collectionProp
line number         : 28732
------------------------------- : null : null
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
cause-message       : null
class               : org.apache.jorphan.collections.ListedHashTree
required-type       :
org.apache.jmeter.testelement.property.TestElementProperty

path                :
/jmeterTestPlan/hashTree/hashTree/hashTree[4]/HTTPSampler[
35]/elementProp/collectionProp
line number         : 28732
-------------------------------
message             : null : null
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
cause-message       : null
class               : org.apache.jorphan.collections.ListedHashTree
required-type       :
org.apache.jmeter.testelement.property.TestElementProperty

path                :
/jmeterTestPlan/hashTree/hashTree/hashTree[4]/HTTPSampler[
35]/elementProp/collectionProp
line number         : 28732
-------------------------------
cause-exception     :
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException
cause-message       : null : null
first-jmeter-class  :
org.apache.jmeter.save.converters.HashTreeConverter.unmars
hal(HashTreeConverter.java:69)
class               : org.apache.jmeter.save.ScriptWrapper
required-type       :
org.apache.jmeter.testelement.property.TestElementProperty

path                :
/jmeterTestPlan/hashTree/hashTree/hashTree[4]/HTTPSampler[
35]/elementProp/collectionProp
line number         : 28732
-------------------------------
2011/07/08 16:35:07 WARN  - jmeter.gui.action.Load: Unexpected error
java.lang.E
xception: Error in TestPlan - see log file
        at org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.Load.insertLoadedTree(Load.java:153)
        at org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.Load.loadProjectFile(Load.java:108)
        at org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.Load.doAction(Load.java:89)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.performAction(ActionRouter.
java:82)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.access$000(ActionRouter.jav
a:42)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter$1.run(ActionRouter.java:61)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown
Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

I really am at my witsend because I cannot find any suitable solution to
this - all help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
and possibly upload the test plan somewhere and provide a link

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
Hi,

I am using JMeter 2.4 and java version 1.6.0_23.
I have 46 threads; each thread for a different test user, each thread has
approximately 10 controllers (after excluding the gifs, jpgs e.t.c) I'm only
interested in the aspx
each controller has HTTP Header Manager.

I cannot upload the test plan unfortunately, but would like help as this is
the second time this is happening in 10 days.

Thank you

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Bruce Ide <fl...@gmail.com>.
Ah, there was a problem with very old tests on newer versions of jmeter. I
thought that might be what was happening. It sounds like something is
corrupting the test's XML. Either that or possibly there's a missing plugin
or something. Is this happening on different systems? Or is something other
than jmeter writing to the test's JMX file?

I've seen similar things happen when using include controllers. If you're
passing in the include controller prefix in your startup script and happen
to use a different startup script that doesn't pass in the same prefix, that
could potentially cause that sort of problem.

If none of those apply, I'm stumped for possible jmeter causes. At that
point I'd start looking at the system to see if there are signs of a faulty
disk or other hardware that might be causing files to become corrupt.

--
Bruce Ide
FlyingRhenquest@gmail.com

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
JMeter and CSV; I can't find any good tutorials’ can anyone recommend one?

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
I wish I could delete it in JMeter - I cannot open the JMX in JMeter to
delete the header Managers. Tbh It's like a wild goose chase - If I re
record those 46 threads, what's to say it wouldn't happen again?

Until this I wouldn't edit JMX files but I'm confused now - I really need to
find a solution to this.

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Bruce Ide <fl...@gmail.com>.
Just do it in jmeter. Click on the header manager in the test plan and then
hit delete. Never try to edit those things manually. It's way too easy to
shoot yourself in the foot when you edit XML manually.

I don't think the header managers are the problem. The recording controller
adds one to each HTTP request, and I never have any problem leaving them in.

Try not manually editing your test files and instead using jmeter when you
want to change them. You can drag the nodes around, delete or copy them
however you want to inside jmeter and it's a whole lot safer.

Are you by any chance recording into nodes in the workbench? The workbench
does not get saved when you hit ctrl-S, so if you record into anything
sitting in the workbench the test might actually work until you close
jmeter, then there will be nothing in it when you open it again.

If none of that applies, I'd start checking potential hardware issues,
because your files should not be getting corrupted like that. I'd start with
a virus checker and maybe run disk and RAM diagnostics.

--
Bruce Ide
FlyingRhenquest@gmail.com

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Hi,

On 07/18/2011 12:43 PM, JMeter_newbie21 wrote:
> 1st application -> 80 users - 5 tabs each, with random data in all tabs
> 2nd application - > 80 users continuation from the first application....
>
> It seems like my best bet is using csv or is there any other way to get
> arround this?

it depends. There are cases of simple applications where the Test Plan
can just make up click paths on the spot using regular expression
extraction.

Mind that recording a set of 80 users is not "random data" at all,
strictly speaking.

CSV would probably be an ideal replacement for what you're doing right
now. Depending on the required input, it may be feasible to have Jmeter
generate [certain parts of the] data as it goes (using BeanShell,
Javascript etc.)

HTH,
Felix

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
On 07/18/2011 11:39 AM, JMeter_newbie21 wrote:
> I wouldn't be comfortable posting my jmx file on this - It's a large file
> 41787kB.

Hi,

I wouldn't be comfortable reading that ;-)

Honestly: Don't create Test Plans that large. Just don't. There is
nothing but pain down this road.

Always adhere to
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/best-practices.html#lean_mean

Sincerely,
Felix

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
Still have the same issue again - but the log file is different.

I wouldn't be comfortable posting my jmx file on this - It's a large file
41787kB.

Any help, suggestions will be appreciated.

        at
org.apache.jmeter.save.converters.HashTreeConverter.unmarshal(HashTre
eConverter.java:69)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshall
er.java:82)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(A
bstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:63)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnm
arshaller.java:76)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnm
arshaller.java:60)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.collections.AbstractCollectionCon
verter.readItem(AbstractCollectionConverter.java:71)
        at
[...]
org.apache.jmeter.save.ScriptWrapperConverter.unmarshal(ScriptWrapper
Converter.java:87)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshall
er.java:82)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(A
bstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:63)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnm
arshaller.java:76)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnm
arshaller.java:60)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.start(TreeUnmarshaller
.java:137)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.unmarsh
al(AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.java:33)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:923)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:909)
        at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:853)
        at org.apache.jmeter.save.SaveService.loadTree(SaveService.java:463)
        at org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.Load.loadProjectFile(Load.java:107)
        at org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.Load.doAction(Load.java:89)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.performAction(ActionRouter.
java:82)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter.access$000(ActionRouter.jav
a:42)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.gui.action.ActionRouter$1.run(ActionRouter.java:61)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown
Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.StreamException:  : no more data
availabl
e - expected end tags
</stringProp></elementProp></collectionProp></elementProp>
</HTTPSampler></hashTree></hashTree></hashTree></jmeterTestPlan> to close
start
tag <stringProp> from line 222977 and start tag <elementProp> from line
222974 a
nd start tag <collectionProp> from line 222937 and start tag <elementProp>
from
line 222936 and start tag <HTTPSampler> from line 222935 and start tag
<hashTree
> from line 217652 and start tag <hashTree> from line 13 and start tag
> <hashTree
> from line 3 and start tag <jmeterTestPlan> from line 2, parser stopped on
> STAR
T_TAG seen
...AKt14yGCAKHuf3wDQLgldfQDgLm+6XHCwK33JQ/ApK6tDQCyJmdIALtmK7YDAKpsu7
... @222977:2250
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.XppReader.pullNextEvent(XppReader.jav
a:80)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.readRealEvent(Abst
ractPullReader.java:137)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.readEvent(Abstract
PullReader.java:124)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.move(AbstractPullR
eader.java:109)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.AbstractPullReader.moveUp(AbstractPul
lReader.java:104)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.ReaderWrapper.moveUp(ReaderWrapper.java:4
0)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTrackingReader.moveUp(PathTracki
ngReader.java:42)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.save.converters.MultiPropertyConverter.unmarshal(Mu
ltiPropertyConverter.java:73)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshall
er.java:82)
        ... 58 more
Caused by: java.io.EOFException: no more data available - expected end tags
</st
ringProp></elementProp></collectionProp></elementProp></HTTPSampler></hashTree><
/hashTree></hashTree></jmeterTestPlan> to close start tag <stringProp> from
line
 222977 and start tag <elementProp> from line 222974 and start tag
<collectionPr
op> from line 222937 and start tag <elementProp> from line 222936 and start
tag
<HTTPSampler> from line 222935 and start tag <hashTree> from line 217652 and
sta
rt tag <hashTree> from line 13 and start tag <hashTree> from line 3 and
start ta
g <jmeterTestPlan> from line 2, parser stopped on START_TAG seen
...AKt14yGCAKHu
f3wDQLgldfQDgLm+6XHCwK33JQ/ApK6tDQCyJmdIALtmK7YDAKpsu7... @222977:2250
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.fillBuf(MXParser.java:3035)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.more(MXParser.java:3046)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:1144)
        at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.next(MXParser.java:1093)
        at
com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.xml.XppReader.pullNextEvent(XppReader.jav
a:63)
        ... 66 more

2011/07/18 10:37:09 ERROR - jmeter.save.converters.TestElementConverter:
TestEle
ment not instantiable: class
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler
[...]
org.apache.jmeter.save.converters.TestElementConverter.unmarshal(Test
ElementConverter.java:97)
        at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBaseConverter.unma
rshal(HTTPSamplerBaseConverter.java:63)
[...]

        ... 54 more

2011/07/18 10:37:09 ERROR - jmeter.save.SaveService: Conversion error
com.though
tworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: null : null
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
cause-message       : null
class               : org.apache.jorphan.collections.ListedHashTree
required-type       :
org.apache.jmeter.testelement.property.CollectionProperty
path                :
/jmeterTestPlan/hashTree/hashTree/hashTree[35]/HTTPSampler
[26]/elementProp/collectionProp/elementProp[7]/stringProp[2]
line number         : 222977
[...]
2011/07/18 10:37:09 WARN  - jmeter.gui.action.Load: Unexpected error

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
i dont think this is complete - since you are missing tags. Upload the file
to any downloadable place and provide a link

regards
deepak

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi
if you cannot share the problematic file , theres not much more we can do.
you can do a find replace for any urls and or username/password

regards
deepak

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
Hi Deepak,

No errors when I load that up

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
try renaming the file to .xml and load it in IE/FF. if there are XML errors
then you should get to see it and it should be fairly simple to fix.
If the above isnt an issue, then are you using some plugins? See if you can
share a version of your test plan , otherwise we are just guessing.

regards
deepak

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Bruce Ide <fl...@gmail.com>.
Well if you're always using the same copy of jmeter and starting it the same
way, I don't think it would be a missing plugin. It also doesn't sound like
you're using the include controller at all, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You said earlier that you had the test (JMX file?) open in wordpad. Is that
something you do often? Are you changing and saving it with wordpad? Perhaps
that's what's corrupting the XML.

--
Bruce Ide
FlyingRhenquest@gmail.com

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
Hi guys,

@ Bruce
Thanks for the update - I believe there's something corrupting the JMX file
as I had 3 backups and I cannot open any of the JMX files.

I'm the only one using JMeter here so I can't really test it on another
machine.

To record; I added a thread and http proxy server in the workbench then I
set it to record into the threads - so I don't have any startup scripts.

It recorded, I ran the testplan twice and then it crashed - so what plugin
am I missing?
I think it's either the controllers/header manager causing this to happen.

@ Felix Frank

It's funny because I assumed it was a controller but what's recording are
http requests and http header manager for each page(approximately 10) for
each thread - does this make sense?
This is where I got the controller from
<elementProp name="ThreadGroup.main_controller" elementType="LoopController"
guiclass="LoopControlPanel" testclass="LoopController" testname="Loop
Controller" enabled="true">
I didn't create the header manager, I'm recording the process...

Thread 1
 - Http request
   - HTTP header manager
 - Http request
   - HTTP header manager
 - Http request
   - HTTP header manager

Thanks

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Hi,

just two minor remarks:

On 07/11/2011 03:15 PM, JMeter_newbie21 wrote:
> - controller(HTTP Request)

Don't you mean "Sampler"? (This is potentially confusing the discussion.)

> - Header Manager
> x 10 (by this I mean controller then Header Manager) repeatedly
> Thread2

Is this sensible? What do all these Header Managers do?

Could you try and cut down your Test Plan to a subset of itself by, say,
removing all Header Managers (in a file copy of course)?

Cheers,
Felix

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
Do you mean the HTTP Sampler like below?

<HTTPSampler guiclass="HttpTestSampleGui" testclass="HTTPSampler"
testname="/***/client/*******.aspx" enabled="true">

I have the file open in wordpad; and yes I have loads of controllers

Example of how my the test plan looks
Thread1
- controller(HTTP Request)
- Header Manager
x 10 (by this I mean controller then Header Manager) repeatedly
Thread2
- controller(HTTP Request)
- Header Manager
x 10

Workbench
Http Proxy Server

Re: I cannot open Test plans

Posted by JMeter_newbie21 <nn...@davy.ie>.
I'm not familiar with how the xml in the testplan corresponds, I have it
opened here in wordpad but as far as I know I didn't disable anything, I
recorded over a number of days, included listeners, ran the test plan twice
and then it crashed on me.