Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org> on 2009/09/17 18:28:07 UTC

Re: Bug workflow

Anyone can change a bug to any status. (Much like in wikipedia - anyone
can edit any page) Then the community would police people who dont
behave. Which doesn't happen often.

-Tim

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Uwe Günther wrote:
> So I wasn't so wrong with the first one. Unfortunately there was nothing
> to code at all.
>
> So I am gonna go for some odd ones and go on with the good things to do.
>
> How does this work for non commiters; if they have a patch? Ok, 1st
> attach the patch to the bug, 2nd...?

Give the committers a couple of days or so to look at it. Drop a note to
the dev list of it looks like it has been missed. It will either be
applied and/or proposed as appropriate or you'll get some feedback on
what needs improving.

A couple of tips:
- provide patches against trunk unless trunk isn't affected
- provide patches in diff -u format
- avoid having cosmetic changes and functional changes in the same patch

Mark

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by Uwe Günther <uw...@cscc.de>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Bugzilla keywords we added for httpd include PatchAvailable (and FAQ and
> a few other obvious ones).  At httpd, we encourage people to mark the bug
> as PatchAvailable as soon as the patch is apparently worth applying.  This
> provides a quick search for committers who are looking for low-hanging
> fruit :)

Thanks for the pointer William, found the keywords explained in Bugzilla
right now:

	https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/describekeywords.cgi

--
Kind Regards
Uwe Günther

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by Uwe Günther <uw...@cscc.de>.

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org>.

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by Uwe Günther <uw...@cscc.de>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Thank you. Help closing bugs is always much appreciated.

Thank you too.

> - security bugs (handled on a private list)
> - regressions
> - things I (or my employer*) care about
> - oldest open 5.5.x or 6.0.x bug without a patch
> - enhancements
>
> * This only applies during work hours :)

I am gonna pin this on my wall. :-)

> Normally no. Mainly, I think, because we rarely get clashes. Most bugs
> don't take that long to fix so the likelihood of clashes is small. As
> the number of open bugs decreases (there are now less than 50 open bugs
> against tc5 and tc6 without patches) the chances of a clash increase.
> I'd suggest if you find yourself spending more than an hour on a bug it
> is worth noting it. I'd also suggest you include a rough time frame for
> when you expect to have an update so other folks can tell if a bug is
> being worked on or not.

Thanks for pointing that out and makes sense to me. So we will see how
ti goes. :-)

--
Kind Regards
Uwe Günther

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Uwe Günther wrote:
> So I could set this one to resolved! Thanks Tim.

Thank you. Help closing bugs is always much appreciated.

> Some other questions are popping up in my head right now:
>
> - How do you guys to choose which bugs to fix first?
As we say at the ASF - you scratch you own itch. We don't have a
community wide priority - each developer will prioritise them their own
my. My personal priority list is something like:
- security bugs (handled on a private list)
- regressions
- things I (or my employer*) care about
- oldest open 5.5.x or 6.0.x bug without a patch
- enhancements

* This only applies during work hours :)

There are, of course, some exceptions to my rules:
- A bug/enhancement with a patch and a good explanation (or better yet a
test case, including source code, that runs without any hassle) is
likely to get committed as soon as I see it.
- I am trying to balance bug fixing and Servlet 3 development so doing a
bit of each

Re: Bug workflow

Posted by Uwe Günther <uw...@cscc.de>.