Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Matthew Midgett <cs...@trickhosting.biz> on 2014/08/05 22:09:35 UTC

Cisco help on public interface

I need to ask my network administrator to prepare my public interfaces. On switch where cloud-public is plugged into those need to be trunk ports pn switch since multiple vlan will be passing. I need them to setup the gateway on a vlan. On a cisco switch or router do you add a virtual switch port with vlan and gateway? If you can give me examples it would be nice. Main routers are 7200's and main switch is a 6513 and my local switch is a 6509. Im not sure what routing engines are in them. Any advice is welcome.

RE: Cisco help on public interface

Posted by er...@truenet.com.
Well, I'm primarily a networking guy, but Ilya is pretty much right.
There's nothing really special about CloudStack on the networking side of things.

You simply have a vlan which has publicly accessible (from a client's standpoint) IPs.
As far as networking this could either be a SVI or passed up to your 7200VXRs, depending on how you want to design it.

Advanced networking has the added guest network VLANs which are basically just trunk ports of the guest networks
and added to those interfaces as allowed vlans.  Management server only needs to access the management vlan and not the guest vlans or even the public vlan, this actually confused me at first.  Basically all it really does is setup the VMs to have those interfaces through which ever hypervisor you are using.

Sincerely,

Eric Tykwinski
TrueNet, Inc.
P: 610-429-8300
This appears to be more network question, i dont know how many network folks are on this list. From what in understand, you dont have to do anything special for cloudstack on the network side. It is done as it would be without cloudstack when it comes to setting up routers and switches.

Regards
ilya

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Matthew,

This appears to be more network question, i dont know how many network
folks are on this list. From what in understand, you dont have to do
anything special for cloudstack on the network side. It is done as it
would be without cloudstack when it comes to setting up routers and
switches.

Regards
ilya

On 8/5/14, 1:09 PM, Matthew Midgett wrote:
> I need to ask my network administrator to prepare my public interfaces. On switch where cloud-public is plugged into those need to be trunk ports pn switch since multiple vlan will be passing. I need them to setup the gateway on a vlan. On a cisco switch or router do you add a virtual switch port with vlan and gateway? If you can give me examples it would be nice. Main routers are 7200's and main switch is a 6513 and my local switch is a 6509. Im not sure what routing engines are in them. Any advice is welcome.

Re: Cisco help on public interface

Posted by te...@frontier.in.
Hi Matthew,

  Which hypervisor you are using?