Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/28 17:59:34 UTC

[Trinidad] panelPopup API comments

Checking out Danny's cool new panelPopup component,
a few comments/questions/possible additions...

Question: what happens if the popup contains a required field?
I think you'd get validation firing, even though it's really
hidden.  I guess the proper way to handle this is to put
a subform in the content of the popup.

- The name:  do we want to call this panelPopup or perhaps just
  popup?  It seems a bit more than just a "panel", since it has
  some behavior to it, but it is a container that does extend UIXPanel,
  at least today.

Attributes:
- "alignment": We've used "align" in other components.  OTOH,
   this is different, so perhaps it should be "location" or "position"?
   Also,  instead of the value "none", I'd prefer "relative",
   more like the CSS "position" property.
- "icon": looks like the docs have some cut-and-paste from "text"
- "title": should probably clarify this only applies to modal="true"
   popups.

Some potential enhancements for the future:
- Support (and doc) how to use JS to launch this (so you could
  have no trigger facet at all, but launch it from another component
  altogether)
- Support a triggerType property that defaults to "click", but
  could be set to "hover", for instance, so that the popup
  would appear any time you hovered over the content,
  and disappeared when you left.

Cheers,
Adam

Re: [Trinidad] panelPopup API comments

Posted by Danny Robinson <da...@gmail.com>.

> Question: what happens if the popup contains a required field?
> I think you'd get validation firing, even though it's really
> hidden.  I guess the proper way to handle this is to put
> a subform in the content of the popup.

DJR: lightweight dialogs also give another approach to avoiding this issue.
Perhaps, this has to be a documented use of the component.

- The name:  do we want to call this panelPopup or perhaps just
>   popup?  It seems a bit more than just a "panel", since it has
>   some behavior to it, but it is a container that does extend UIXPanel,
>   at least today.

Attributes:

> - "alignment": We've used "align" in other components.  OTOH,
>    this is different, so perhaps it should be "location" or "position"?
>    Also,  instead of the value "none", I'd prefer "relative",
>    more like the CSS "position" property.

+1 DJR: Yeah, it's not well named.  "position" is  a much better name with
"relative" (default) and "center" as valid values.

- "icon": looks like the docs have some cut-and-paste from "text"

DJR: Will fix.

- "title": should probably clarify this only applies to modal="true"
>    popups.

DJR: They don't currently, you can have  non-modal popups with a title

Some potential enhancements for the future:
> - Support (and doc) how to use JS to launch this (so you could
>   have no trigger facet at all, but launch it from another component
>   altogether)

+1 -  Agreed

- Support a triggerType property that defaults to "click", but
>   could be set to "hover", for instance, so that the popup
>   would appear any time you hovered over the content,
>   and disappeared when you left.

+1 - was on my list also

--
Chordiant Software Inc.