Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by aaron <aa...@evenbetter.biz> on 2009/12/17 23:07:12 UTC

c++/trivial: Why doesn't Rdma::AsynchIO subclass qpid::sys::AsynchIO?

Hi,

I'm a newb reading through the C++ qpid broker and client code, trying
to wrap my brain
around the basic structure.  One sorta-trivial question I have is:

Any reason Rdma::AsynchIO doesn't subclass qpid::sys::AsynchIO like
windows::AsynchIO and qpid::sys::AsynchIO do?

Another comment: naming all these classes "AsynchIO" makes it hard to
grep the code IMHO.

Also, if there are any developer/code docs on this part of the code,
please send a link.

Thanks,

Aaron

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: c++/trivial: Why doesn't Rdma::AsynchIO subclass qpid::sys::AsynchIO?

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 14:07 -0800, aaron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newb reading through the C++ qpid broker and client code, trying
> to wrap my brain
> around the basic structure.  One sorta-trivial question I have is:
>
> Any reason Rdma::AsynchIO doesn't subclass qpid::sys::AsynchIO like
> windows::AsynchIO and qpid::sys::AsynchIO do?

Basically because it doesn't implement the same interface. It would be
nice, and the plan is to refactor into a state where this is possible,
but currently the code is as it is!

> Another comment: naming all these classes "AsynchIO" makes it hard to
> grep the code IMHO.

The qpid::sys::AsynchIO class is the interface and the stuff in
qpid::sys::posix and qpid::sys:windows implements the interface.

> Also, if there are any developer/code docs on this part of the code,
> please send a link.

None really - the code is its documentation at this point. Steve Huston
may have some more information on his blog, as he did write about some
of the work he did porting the code to Windows, but that will be about
tcp rather than rdma.

Andrew

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org