Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ke...@sunlife.com on 2002/10/16 00:23:25 UTC

repost - Re: SOAP on JMS, a solution to which problem?

Not trying to be a pest - can anyone comment on this? For me to configure
an environment, install and test this would take a while. I'd appreciate
hearing if I've at least described how it's supposed to work - I looked
through the docs before posting earlier and didn't find where it was
documented. I may have just missed it.

My last two Axis postings have had a combined 1600 page views - people
actually clicking the link to read the entry. I'll bet many of these people
are new to Axis as well.

From:  Kevin Bedell on 10/15/2002 11:07 AM

To:    axis-user@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:    Re: SOAP on JMS, a solution to which problem? [Scanned for
       known viruses]  (Document link: Database 'Kevin Bedell', View '
       ($Sent)')

In looking at this I felt it was something worth communicating to the rest
of the world - I've put together a short blog entry/article below. Before I
post it to O'Reilly's site I was wondering if I could get a few comments
from the list just to make sure I know what I'm talking about. BTW - this
looks very cool. I use WebLogic here at work and have been doing JMS apps
with it for a while. I'm going to look at transferring some of our SOAP
apps to this approach. I lost a Web Service RPC request on an app last week
and it caused a problem for me :-<

Any comments would be appreciated - to me directly or to the list if they are valuable for everyone. I'm mainly concerned that I actually undertand
this and am communicating it correctly!

Thanks -
Kevin

Title:

Soap over JMS - what does it mean and why should I care?

Teaser:

As corporate developers look to deploy enterprise applications using
Web Services, will Soap over JMS become a standard for
high-reliability applications?

Blog Entry:

I'm a big proponent of using Web Services. I'm convinced that they are
just a better way of getting certain things done. In particular, I
think that Web Services provide a great way of integrating two systems
that are built using different technologies.

But there's a problem. Some applications require very high
reliability for individual transactions. Soap over HTTP is limited in
this type of application. The basic problem is that HTTP itself just
doesn't provide guaranteed delivery. It wasn't designed to and it
doesn't look as if, without modification to the protocol, it ever
will. (In fact, <a
href="http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-phtt/">the
HTTPR proposal from IBM</a> is designed to meet this
challenge. Unfortunately it is still just a proposal...)

One way that companies are beginning to get over this challange is by
running SOAP over JMS. What is SOAP over JMS? There are a couple
answers to this question.

The first answer lies in using JMS as a replacement for HTTP as the
underlying transport for SOAP communications. Using Apache Axis, this
means sending messages using the Axis API's, but having the actual
communications to the SOAP server be processed using JMS instead of
being sent over HTTP. This is a great improvement in reliability for
mission critical applications.

The second answer (for Axis again) is using HTTP for communications
between the SOAP client and server, but having the SOAP messages be
persisted in JMS inside the Web Service client before they are
sent. It could also mean persisting the SOAP Messages using JMS inside the Web
Service server application once they are received. These two features
still allow for integration with other Web Service architectures, such
as .NET, but provide additional reliability by using JMS.

One approach to enhancing the reliability of Web Service
communications is to use JMS as the underlying transport directly when
communicating inside your enterprise (on the 'Intranet'), and then
bridge from JMS to HTTP at the 'edge' of the enterprise (when going to
the 'Internet' or an 'Extranet').

Both these features are available today in Apache Axis 1.0. For more
information please see <a
href="http://www.oetrends.com/cgi-bin/page_display.cgi?109">this
article</a> recently posted on the Open Enterprise Trends site or the Apache Axis site at http://xml.apache.org/axis .