Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by dale's stuff <st...@colony.net> on 2002/11/06 04:06:28 UTC

[users@httpd] how do I prevent sites from hijacking my images?

Hello,

I was just processing my logs and have found that once again some scum are
stealing some images from my site and linking directly to them.

I am running apache 1.3.2x on RH Linux 7.1. I would like to be able to
serve a different image to these scum to get the point across that they can'
t be stealing my images -kind of like what angelfire and so forth do.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Dale

Re: [users@httpd] how do I prevent sites from hijacking my images?

Posted by Lewis Watson <li...@visionsix.com>.
> I was just processing my logs and have found that once again some scum are
> stealing some images from my site and linking directly to them.
>
> I am running apache 1.3.2x on RH Linux 7.1. I would like to be able to
> serve a different image to these scum to get the point across that they
can'
> t be stealing my images -kind of like what angelfire and so forth do.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dale

Hi Dale.
There are things you can do to prevent them from linking to them (See the
links below), but to keep them from pulling them off your site and using
them? Nothing. You are offering the graphics over a public network. There
are ways to slow some people up or making it a tad more difficult but in the
end there is no way to prevent someone from pulling what your server is
giving out.

http://www.bignosebird.com/apache/a16.shtml
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#image-theft

hope this helps,
Lewis

Re: [users@httpd] how do I prevent sites from hijacking my images?

Posted by Future Shock Business Solutions <fu...@shaw.ca>.
Dale,

If I recall correctly, using htaccess in the images folder will prevent
this. Some good sites were already suggested for similar methods.
See also
http://support.mypagesonline.com/hot_linking.php
http://stopthief.katgyrl.com/2001_09_01_archives.html and google
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%22htaccess%22%2B%22image+
linking%22

That doesn't prevent anyone from right-clicking on it at your page and
saving it, you would need something like JavaScript for that.

HTH
Eric

Posted by James Green <ja...@stealthnet.co.uk>.
dale's stuff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was just processing my logs and have found that once again some scum
> are stealing some images from my site and linking directly to them.
>
> I am running apache 1.3.2x on RH Linux 7.1. I would like to be able to
> serve a different image to these scum to get the point across that
> they can'
> t be stealing my images -kind of like what angelfire and so forth do.

Here's an idea for those of you really serious about stopping people
from doing this. Continually change the image name.

Have the image named somwhere permanently like in a database table, and
change the href name value periodically (like logo being the name,
logo2776.jpg being the href value). When you spit your html out, do a
lookup for the current href name of the image in the database, output
this as something like /images/get.php?image=logo2776.jpg.

Then you can look the href value for 'logo' up and get 'logo2776.jpg'
from the database. All you'd need is a get.php script that took the
image filename and did a reverse lookup of the filename (logo2776.jpg)
to internal name (logo) then did a readfile off the disk for the real image.

Next you'll need a script to periodically alter the href name in the
database. The result should be a way of having an internal coding for
the filename on disk, which  is looked up in your database.

Like I said, this is for people seriously annoyed by the thefts only,
but I suspect it would work. After all, logo2776.jpg will disappear from
your database when you run the alter href script every few hours or
something.

Just a suggestion.

James

Re: [users@httpd] how do I prevent sites from hijacking my images?