Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2014/06/23 14:07:24 UTC

Brooklyn at ApacheCon Europe

All,

The suggestion has been made that ApacheCon Europe would be a great
venue for us to give a presentation to "introduce" Brooklyn to the
rest of Apache. I've been putting together some ideas for a
presentation and I intend to submit it to the CFP very soon.

As this will be my first presentation at a major conference, I've
never had to respond to a CFP before, so I would appreciate a bit of
guidance from our community to review my CFP response (I know several
of our committers and mentors are old hands at this type of stuff).

Any comments will be gratefully received :)  As the CFP deadline is
approaching, I will need to submit this very soon.

Presentation for the Developer category

Bio:
Richard Downer is a software engineer for Cloudsoft working on the
Apache Brooklyn (incubating) project. Cloudsoft have presented
speakers at many well-known conferences such us OSCON, GlueCon and
CloudCon, but this will be Richard's first speaking appearance at a
major conference.

Title:
Apache Brooklyn - what it is and why you might use it

Abstract:
Apache Brooklyn recently joined the Incubator. Brooklyn can be
described using phrases like "automated management of cloud
applications" and "simplified deployment and runtime management of
enterprise-grade applications", but soundbites like those only scratch
the surface of what Brooklyn can do. In this presentation, Richard
Downer will show what Brooklyn is, how it can help you, and what it
could do for your applications. Afterwards, whenever you see the
tagline "application modelling, monitoring and management", you'll
realise that's *WAY* cooler than it sounds.

Audience:
Like Brooklyn, this presentation is aimed at developers and operators
of server-side applications. Small web-app-plus-database type
applications, or large complex applications with many components;
applications that want to live in the cloud, or applications that
*don't* want to live in the cloud. If you are creating these
applications, or you are responsible for deploying them and keeping
them running, then Brooklyn could help you.

Benefits to the Ecosystem:
Applications are becoming more complex - you may be using multiple
datastores to take advantage of the specialities of each. Cloud is
changing how applications are written, and servers are becoming
disposable items. Cloud providers are competing more - if you're
prepared to move your app between provides you could save money. Users
are expecting more - if your app is down they may never come back
again, so uptime in the face of unreliability is important. Apache
Brooklyn can address all of these - we want more developers to be
involved this project, whether as users or contributors, and help make
applications deploy to production smoothly and continue to run in the
face of the challenges the Internet gives us.

Thanks
Richard.