Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Harper, Brad" <br...@Fiserv.com> on 2009/05/11 21:55:29 UTC

War Overlays and Conflicting Jars

Is there a way to detect when the dependencies of two war artifacts are
inconsistent with respect to packaged jar versions?

E.g. a war depends on artifact abc-1.0.0.jar. An overlay is performed
where an inconsistent dependency on abc-1.0.1.jar is also defined.

The resulting war will contain both jar files and, so far as I can tell,
the subsequent behavior is indeterminate.

Brad

RE: War Overlays and Conflicting Jars

Posted by "Harper, Brad" <br...@Fiserv.com>.
I didn't see one, so I added one. Refer to
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MWAR-194.

Thanks.

Brad

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brad Harper <br...@epsiia.com>.

Posted by Mark Hobson <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nayan Hajratwala <na...@chikli.com>.

AW: War Overlays and Conflicting Jars

Posted by "Annies, Sebastian" <se...@coremedia.com>.
Hi Brad,

we had this issue too and used the following workaround (Works only if the overlay is never used as war itself):

In the war plugin we exclude packaging of the jars. So we got a skinny jar.

Best Regards,
Sebastian

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Harper, Brad wrote at Montag, 11. Mai 2009 21:55:

> Is there a way to detect when the dependencies of two war artifacts are
> inconsistent with respect to packaged jar versions?
>

> E.g. a war depends on artifact abc-1.0.0.jar. An overlay is performed
> where an inconsistent dependency on abc-1.0.1.jar is also defined.
>

> The resulting war will contain both jar files and, so far as I can tell,
> the subsequent behavior is indeterminate.

We avoid this by turning all war projects into projects with packaging jar
that creates a normal library out of the classes. The war is itself build
then with a classifier (webapp in our case). The jar plugin has been
configured to create the resulting jar in target/webapp/WEB-INF/lib while
the war is assembled in target/webapp. Therefore the war contains also the
local jar and resources. In case of an overlay we exclude then any stuff
from WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes and get the proper dependencies
declaring the jar and the webapp both as deps.

- Jörg