Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org> on 2017/10/30 19:39:38 UTC

Cutting branch-2.9

We want to give heads up that we are going to cut branch-2.9 tomorrow
morning.

We are down to 3 blockers and they all are close to being committed (thanks
everyone):
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/Hadoop+2.9+Release

There are 4 other non-blocker JIRAs that are targeted for 2.9.0 which are
close to completion.

Folks who are working/reviewing these, kindly prioritize accordingly so
that we can make the release on time.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-7398?filter=12342468

Thanks in advance!

-Subru/Arun

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Junping,

We are planning to cut branch-2.9.0 on Thursday as there are couple of
non-blocking bug fixes coming in which we hope to get in tomorrow. Hope
that answers your question.

Thanks,
Subru

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hello Junping

Thanks for taking the time/effort to go through this. Including our reply
so that folks in the list have the full context.

> 1. It looks like we change from log4j to sel4j (HADOOP-12956) in 2.9
which is a huge incompatible change. Do we have consensus on this in
community (as I saw HBase community are deny this kind of change in minor
release)? If so, we should document somewhere what is changed and what's
the impact.
As per the compatibility guidelines (http://hadoop.apache.org/
docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/Compatibility.html#Log4j_
Configuration_Files), our understanding is that if SLF4j can read the old
Log4j property files, we should be good - and it is the case.

>  2. Some APIs (deprecated in 2.8) get removed. My understanding is we
only remove deprecated API in next major release (3.0) but not minor
release. Please double check this with some documents or other guys for
certain answer.
We see only 2 DEPRECATED methods have been removed:
- The AllocateResponse.newInstance method and the RMProxy<T>.createRMProxy
methods. Both are internal builders and are not really APIs IMHO - so we
feel this should not be a blocker.

>  3. Some stable APIs get removed, like: YarnScheduler.allocate(), etc. We
may need to add it back before we go for RC stage.
Are you sure you are running JACC against latest 2.8.2 artifacts - as we
saw a much smaller delta when we ran jdiff ? Case in point: Looks like the
YarnScheduler#allocate() changes were already part of 2.8.2 as per (
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/branch-2.8.2/
hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-server/hadoop-yarn-server-
resourcemanager/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/yarn/server/
resourcemanager/scheduler/YarnScheduler.java) and the relevant JIRA is
YARN-5221.

-Subru/Arun

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hello Junping

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hello Junping

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hello Junping

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Junping Du <jd...@hortonworks.com>.
Below is some findings from my recently run of JACC (https://builds.apache.org/job/Hadoop-2.9-JACC/12/artifact/target/compat-check/report.html) job against 2.9 and 2.8.2. I have discussed with Arun and Subru offline on jdiff report who convinced me some of items are not a big concern. Just tried to list here in case people in community have different voices:

 My original concerns of incompatibilities:
     1. It looks like we change from log4j to sel4j (HADOOP-12956) in 2.9 which is a huge incompatible change. Do we have consensus on this in community - as I saw HBase community are deny this kind of change in minor release? I talked with several other guys who seems to have different opinion.

    2. Some APIs (deprecated in 2.8) get removed. My understanding is we only remove deprecated API in next major release (3.0) but not minor release. - Arun and Subru convinced me that removed 2 methods are not supposed to be used by other downstream projects

    3. Some stable APIs get removed, like: YarnScheduler.allocate(), etc. We may need to add it back for compatibility of Scheduler API.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Junping

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
Quick update folks.

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
Quick update folks.

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
Quick update folks.

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
Quick update folks.

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Junping,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Junping,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Junping,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Junping,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Junping,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Subru Krishnan <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Junping,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Junping,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by 俊平堵 <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun/Subru,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by 俊平堵 <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun/Subru,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by 俊平堵 <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun/Subru,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by 俊平堵 <du...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun/Subru,

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
Hello folks

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
Hello folks

Re: Cutting branch-2.9

Posted by Arun Suresh <as...@apache.org>.
Hello Jumping

Thanks for chiming in.. Appreciate the offer to help. I did run jdiff on
branch-2 today.. did not find any red flags. Will post the report here
shortly for review.

Cheers
-Arun

Re: Cutting branch-2.9