Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2015/01/12 01:45:16 UTC

Clear expectations

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Considering that both detailed answers as well and more "philosophical"
> answers don't satisfy, I am at a loss to what approach to try next.

The Board should endorse a document establishing what Apache expects of
its projects.

This document must be as short as possible -- ideally no more than a
single screenful.  It should link to definitive resources rather than
introduce competing language, and it should only codify existing
requirements, not add new ones.  Modification should require prior
approval by a curating entity.

The resources that this document will need to reference (release, legal
voting, infra, security, etc) have varying levels of maturity.  Separate
efforts to codify satellite resources are important, since those often
have amorphous boundaries themselves -- but that does not block the
establishment of a root document.

Shane Curcuru has submitted a first draft.  It needs significant
refinement, but I believe that it is conceptually sound.

    https://www.apache.org/dev/project-requirements

Development discussions for this document should take place in a public
forum -- probably dev@community.

Eventual Board endorsement of this document as an authoritative resource
is essential.  That's what allows those who consult it to have confidence
that they can know everything Apache requires without having to search
through every last web page and email archive.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Clear expectations

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an complementary suggestion to Marvin's push for documentation. My
> request is for a much clearer channel of communication to the board. All
> too often, projects wind up communicating with individuals; some board
> members, some not. Those individuals are in an unclear state of headware.
> Board members are always free to express their personal gut reaction, but I
> find that much confusion results from mistaking a gut reaction for an _ex
> cathedra_ statement -- and, in the end, board members don't even own such
> seats. Only the board together can issue a binding ruling. Since we're
> talking IPMC here, perhaps the solution is for the VP to even more actively
> take the role of 'bring your troubles to me, and I'll take them up with the
> board if I can't settle it.'

I've see that as the most frequent culprit: folks who are new to our game
failing to tell apart opinions of the individuals and an opinion of the board.

That's why I was so enthusiastically +1 on Marvin's suggestion of codifying
at least the few commandments that the *board* can agree upon.

Thanks,
Roman.

RE: Clear expectations

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Well with that clarification I'm a very strong +1 on everything you said :-)

Ross

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

RE: Clear expectations

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Marvin,

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Re: Clear expectations

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Does it help anything to look at this, again, as failure modes?

One failure mode is a project that emerges from the incubator showing,
well, gross signs that it 'doesn't get it.'

Another failure mode is that a group of people who really do get it, at the
level of the broad principles, get into trouble trying to translate those
principles into very practical matters, due to conflicting sources of
authority and documentation.

Talking about one of these does not invalidate the other as a concern.

Re: Clear expectations

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>
>> Considering that both detailed answers as well and more "philosophical"
>> answers don't satisfy, I am at a loss to what approach to try next.
>
> The Board should endorse a document establishing what Apache expects of
> its projects.
>
> This document must be as short as possible -- ideally no more than a
> single screenful.  It should link to definitive resources rather than
> introduce competing language, and it should only codify existing
> requirements, not add new ones.  Modification should require prior
> approval by a curating entity.
>
> The resources that this document will need to reference (release, legal
> voting, infra, security, etc) have varying levels of maturity.  Separate
> efforts to codify satellite resources are important, since those often
> have amorphous boundaries themselves -- but that does not block the
> establishment of a root document.
>
> Shane Curcuru has submitted a first draft.  It needs significant
> refinement, but I believe that it is conceptually sound.
>
>     https://www.apache.org/dev/project-requirements
>
> Development discussions for this document should take place in a public
> forum -- probably dev@community.
>
> Eventual Board endorsement of this document as an authoritative resource
> is essential.  That's what allows those who consult it to have confidence
> that they can know everything Apache requires without having to search
> through every last web page and email archive.

Huge +1 (especially in the poddlings context)

Thanks,
Roman.