Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2020/02/10 09:47:55 UTC

Numbering schemes for future releases

Hi,

I thought it would be useful to re-open the discussion on this. If there
is a better plan that the one we currently have I'd like to try and find it.

I'm happy to hold off on the current 10.0.0.0-M1 release for a few days
to give us time look for a better numbering scheme and so we have the
opportunity to pull the 10.0.0.0-M1 release if necessary.

I have tried to express the various options I have seen proposed in a
similar way so we can compare them. If I have missed one or you think of
a different one then please post it.

Option A: The current plan:
Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0.x
Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x   (x>=1)
Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)

Option B: Continue with existing numbering
Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
Jakarta EE 10: 11.0.x
Jakarta EE 11: 12.0.x
Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)

Option C: No stable Jakarta EE 9 release
Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0-Mx
Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x
Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)

Option D:
Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
Jakarta EE 10: 10.1.x
Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)

My own thoughts:

I don't like option B because the off-by-one issue between Jakarta EE
and Tomcat. It is manageable at the moment but I worry that it will
cause confusion once we have the 9.y.x branch.

I don't like option C because I think we need a stable, supported,
passing the TCK Jakarta EE 9 release. Also, Jakarta EE 10 is meant to
follow shortly after Jakarta EE 9 but what if it doesn't?

For me, the choice is between A and D. If Jakarta EE 10 is very soon
after Jakarta EE 9 then I think option A is better. However, D isn't
that far behind and as soon as Jakarta EE 10 doesn't follow shortly
after Jakarta EE 9 I think D begins to look better. As I think about it,
the EOL decision we make for Jakarta EE 9 support depends a lot on how
quickly Jakarta EE 10 follows and I think D gives us more flexibility.
Finally, D is more consistent with how we have done things in the past
(4.1.x, 5.5.x, 8.5.x etc)

Thoughts?

Mark

Re: Numbering schemes for future releases

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 1:08 PM Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 1:56 PM Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Indeed it is getting complicated to understand the versions here.
>>

>>> Well, this won't work as the plan for the 9 branch [the last branch on
>>> javax] is to track the API changes from the last major branches using minor
>>> branches. So 9.10 [tracking the EE 10 branch], then 9.11, then 9.12, and so
>>> on but still based on
>>>

>> What do you mean with "So 9.10 [tracking the EE 10 branch]," What is EE
>> 10 here ? Javax or Jakarta ?
>> Since Oracle won't lead EE anymore then it should be Jakarta EE 10. But
>> Jakarta EE 10 will (hopefully) be implemented in Tomcat 10.0.x. What
>> exactly will go in 9.10.x ?
>>

> This is explained in the document:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Jakarta+EE+Release+Numbering
> 9.10: Continues to support Java EE 8 with Tomcat API identical to latest
> Tomcat 10.0.x
> 9.11: Continues to support Java EE 8 with Tomcat API identical to latest
> Tomcat 11.0.x
> 9.N: Continues to support Java EE 8 with Tomcat API identical to latest
> Tomcat N
> As I said, this is to be able to maintain an up to date Tomcat release
> branch that still uses Java EE 8. If nobody ends up caring, this branch
> will of course be dropped eventually, but I don't think that's the most
> likely scenario.

Thanks for the reference!
If Tomcat was a library/framework I'd suggest to use Maven classifiers.
Lately most of my applications use Tomcat as embedded server.
It would be much more natural to add  <classifier>javax</classifier> (for
Maven) or to append ":javax" (e.g.
"org.apache.tomcat:tomcat-embed-core:10.0.1:javax" for Gradle)
But I don't see how this could work for the standalone downloads and the OS
packages.

>>> Java EE 8. This is an attempt to extend the support period of the 9
>>> branch even further and keep Tomcat 9 relevant with the new features from
>>> the main most recent branch. So you could propose 9.9, possibly, but 9.99
>>> or 9.999 or other random number doesn't fit. Then, the most important
>>> problem is that the 9 branch means Java EE 8 support, and you would be
>>> polluting it with a Jakarta EE release.
>>> So unfortunately that option E doesn't work at all, despite its apparent
>>> similarity with option D.
>>>

>> The idea to use 99 or 999 is to use a number that is far ahead and that
>> it won't ever be reached by the normal releases, like 9.1.x, 9.2.x, etc.
>>

> Right, but then it is dropped and it goes back to 9.10. So that doesn't
> work very well for me and I prefer using 10.0 and 10.1 instead (option D)
> of 9.99 and 10.0.

Fair enough!

I don't see it as a problem.
8.0.x has been dropped (in favour of 8.5.x) and new releases of 7.0.x have
been released since then.
Since Tomcat does not follow SemVer but custom rules for X.Y.Z it is just a
matter of documenting 999 as a transition release with short live that
could be used by early adopters.

Martin

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> [...]
>> Finally, D is more consistent with how we have done things in the past
>> (4.1.x, 5.5.x, 8.5.x etc)
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> From the above I like option C.
> It the release of Jakarta EE 10 is delayed for some reason we can switch
> to option D.
>
> One more option:
> Option E:
> Jakarta EE 9:  9.99.x (or 9.999.x)
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>
> It is a bit ugly but some projects have used such version scheme to
> emphasize that it is a transitional release.

Well, this won't work as the plan for the 9 branch [the last branch on
javax] is to track the API changes from the last major branches using minor
branches. So 9.10 [tracking the EE 10 branch], then 9.11, then 9.12, and so
on but still based on Java EE 8. This is an attempt to extend the support

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:47 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought it would be useful to re-open the discussion on this. If there
> is a better plan that the one we currently have I'd like to try and find
> it.
>
> I'm happy to hold off on the current 10.0.0.0-M1 release for a few days
> to give us time look for a better numbering scheme and so we have the
> opportunity to pull the 10.0.0.0-M1 release if necessary.
>
> I have tried to express the various options I have seen proposed in a
> similar way so we can compare them. If I have missed one or you think of
> a different one then please post it.
>
> Option A: The current plan:
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x   (x>=1)
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option B: Continue with existing numbering
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 11.0.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 12.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option C: No stable Jakarta EE 9 release
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0-Mx
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option D:
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.1.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> My own thoughts:
>
> I don't like option B because the off-by-one issue between Jakarta EE
> and Tomcat. It is manageable at the moment but I worry that it will
> cause confusion once we have the 9.y.x branch.
>
> I don't like option C because I think we need a stable, supported,
> passing the TCK Jakarta EE 9 release. Also, Jakarta EE 10 is meant to
> follow shortly after Jakarta EE 9 but what if it doesn't?
>
> For me, the choice is between A and D. If Jakarta EE 10 is very soon
> after Jakarta EE 9 then I think option A is better. However, D isn't
> that far behind and as soon as Jakarta EE 10 doesn't follow shortly
> after Jakarta EE 9 I think D begins to look better. As I think about it,
> the EOL decision we make for Jakarta EE 9 support depends a lot on how
> quickly Jakarta EE 10 follows and I think D gives us more flexibility.
> Finally, D is more consistent with how we have done things in the past
> (4.1.x, 5.5.x, 8.5.x etc)
>
> Thoughts?

From the above I like option C.

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Numbering schemes for future releases

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

пн, 10 февр. 2020 г. в 12:47, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:

>  [...]
>
> I have tried to express the various options I have seen proposed in a
> similar way so we can compare them. If I have missed one or you think of
> a different one then please post it.
>
> Option A: [...] Option D:

1. If we are going to release a version of Tomcat for Jakarta EE 9,
I need a proper version number to name it, and "10.0.0" is not such a number.

As such, I am strongly -1 to option A.

2. Option C looks like a waste. It may occur naturally if it takes too long to
stabilize Tomcat and Jakarta EE 10 comes sooner.

I am -0 to Option C.

3. I like both "B" and "D".

I think that we can go with "D", but be prepared to switch to "B" in
case if Jakarta EE 10 occurs to be much different from Jakarta EE 9.

The deciding point for me will be whether Jakarta EE 10 allows running
with Java 8.
If it does not, I would prefer option "B" rather than "D".

Re: Mark's
> I don't like option B because the off-by-one issue between Jakarta EE
> and Tomcat.

For me aligning Tomcat version and Jakarta EE is not a practical goal.
It did not happen before. It may occur naturally, but I do not like to
aim for it.

Offtopic: I had a similar discussion in another project several years
ago, and the outcome was that there is no need for an alignment (The
discussion was about aligning TortoiseSVN with Apache Subversion).
[1][2]

[1] https://subvserion.markmail.org/thread/s3d7sz4percblwbv
[2] https://tortoisesvn.markmail.org/thread/f63wx54jzclngojo

Re: Remy's
> -1 for option B also because the EOL of that "major" Tomcat 10 branch may be way too quick for a major branch.

I think that nowadays it is OK to have a major branch that is not a
LTS one. It has not happen in Tomcat yet, but It happens in many other
projects.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Numbering schemes for future releases

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/02/2020 14:15, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

> Given all of the above, I propose to do the following:
>
> - Cancel the 10.0.0.0-M1 release vote
> - Give this thread until 10.00 UTC 13-Feb-2020 (just over 72 hours from
>   when it started) to collect additional views
> - Assuming (and it is a big assumption) that additional views expressed
>   are broadly consistent with the views expressed to date, tag 10.0.0-M1
>   and start a release vote.
> - If the additional views expressed are not broadly consistent with the
>   views expressed to date (or people change their minds) then we'll have
>   to assess where we are at the end of 72 hours and figure out a plan to
>   move forward at that point.

My reading of the thread since I sent this message is that there is
consensus to go with option D. It isn't everybody's first choice but it
is the choice that everybody can accept.

Therefore, a little later than planned I'm going to go ahead with the
steps I outlined above.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks to everyone that has expressed an opinion so far. If you have a
view and you wish to express it, now is the time to do so.

I've read through all the responses to date and my reading of those

- A has strong support but also one strongly against
- B has low support and several against
- C has moderate support but several concerns about Jakarta EE 10 timing
- D has moderate to strong support

Option E was also proposed but did collect wider support

The strong objection to A suggested either B or a variation on C/D as
acceptable alternatives.

The 10.0.0.0-M1 vote has been running for 3+ working days and this
thread for 1+ working days.

As previously stated, I'm happy to *briefly* delay the first Tomcat 10
milestone but I really don't want to delay more than a few days. Of
course, if the PMC members feel I am rushing this release unnecessarily
then there is always the option to vote against the release.

Given all of the above, I propose to do the following:

- Cancel the 10.0.0.0-M1 release vote
- Give this thread until 10.00 UTC 13-Feb-2020 (just over 72 hours from
  when it started) to collect additional views
- Assuming (and it is a big assumption) that additional views expressed
  are broadly consistent with the views expressed to date, tag 10.0.0-M1
  and start a release vote.
- If the additional views expressed are not broadly consistent with the
  views expressed to date (or people change their minds) then we'll have
  to assess where we are at the end of 72 hours and figure out a plan to
  move forward at that point.

This approach rules out options A, B & E but leaves us free to choose
between C, D or a variation at a later point when we can make that
choice with a better idea of Jakarta EE 9 adoption rates, Jakarta EE 10
plans, etc.

Mark

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 10:47 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought it would be useful to re-open the discussion on this. If there
> is a better plan that the one we currently have I'd like to try and find
> it.
>
> I'm happy to hold off on the current 10.0.0.0-M1 release for a few days
> to give us time look for a better numbering scheme and so we have the
> opportunity to pull the 10.0.0.0-M1 release if necessary.
>
> I have tried to express the various options I have seen proposed in a
> similar way so we can compare them. If I have missed one or you think of
> a different one then please post it.
>
> Option A: The current plan:
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x   (x>=1)
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option B: Continue with existing numbering
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 11.0.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 12.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option C: No stable Jakarta EE 9 release
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0-Mx
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option D:
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.1.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> My own thoughts:
>
> I don't like option B because the off-by-one issue between Jakarta EE
> and Tomcat. It is manageable at the moment but I worry that it will
> cause confusion once we have the 9.y.x branch.

-1 for option B also because the EOL of that "major" Tomcat 10 branch may
be way too quick for a major branch.

> I don't like option C because I think we need a stable, supported,
> passing the TCK Jakarta EE 9 release. Also, Jakarta EE 10 is meant to
> follow shortly after Jakarta EE 9 but what if it doesn't?
>
> For me, the choice is between A and D. If Jakarta EE 10 is very soon
> after Jakarta EE 9 then I think option A is better. However, D isn't
> that far behind and as soon as Jakarta EE 10 doesn't follow shortly
> after Jakarta EE 9 I think D begins to look better. As I think about it,
> the EOL decision we make for Jakarta EE 9 support depends a lot on how
> quickly Jakarta EE 10 follows and I think D gives us more flexibility.
> Finally, D is more consistent with how we have done things in the past
> (4.1.x, 5.5.x, 8.5.x etc)

D looks good to me for the flexibility. I suppose/hope/would think the
people at Eclipse will want to provide something useful sooner rather than
later, so A seemed acceptable to me, but you never know. You know, three
years later, you could find yourself still releasing 10.0.0.26. Ooops.
10.0.26 would look better, if that unfortunate scenario happens.
The 10.0 branch does imply some amount of support though, so it likely
won't be possible to phase it out as fast as in Option A or C. It's not
nearly as bad as B of course.

C would look the best to me if there was a guarantee on the EE 10 release
schedule being quick. Thinking about it again today, I think that's a huge
unreasonable risk.

Rémy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Coty,

On 2/10/20 8:37 AM, Coty Sutherland wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 4:48 AM Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org
> <ma...@apache.org>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I thought it would be useful to re-open the discussion on this. If
> there is a better plan that the one we currently have I'd like to
> try and find it.
>
> I'm happy to hold off on the current 10.0.0.0-M1 release for a few
> days to give us time look for a better numbering scheme and so we
> have the opportunity to pull the 10.0.0.0-M1 release if necessary.
>
> I have tried to express the various options I have seen proposed in
> a similar way so we can compare them. If I have missed one or you
> think of a different one then please post it.
>
> Option A: The current plan: Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0.x Jakarta EE 10:
> 10.0.x   (x>=1) Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x Java EE 8    : 9.y.x
> (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option B: Continue with existing numbering Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 11.0.x Jakarta EE 11: 12.0.x Java EE 8    : 9.y.x
> (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option C: No stable Jakarta EE 9 release Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0-Mx
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x Java EE 8    : 9.y.x
> (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option D: Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x Jakarta EE 10: 10.1.x Jakarta EE
> 11: 11.0.x Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat
> version)
>

> I think I prefer option A, with D as a secondary. Initially I liked
> C the best, but given the conversation I agree that it's probably
> not the best way forward.

I think you have captured the essence of this conversation, here:

> Either way we do it is going to be somewhat confusing for folks I
> think, at least initially, but the options we have all seem pretty
> easy to explain.
Given that confusion is inevitable, let's go with the option that has
the best steady-state outcome, which is option A -- where the Tomcat
version lines-up with the Jakarta EE version number.

Back when Tomcat 3/4/5 were released, the Java EE version numbering
was unpredictable and it wasn't obvious that Tomcat versions followed
various combinations of specifications. Now that Tomcat is essentially
following a numbered-bundle of specs (e.g. "Jakarta EE 10") instead of
collections of individual specs (Servlet, JSP, EL, WebSocket, JASPIC),
it makes much more sense for our version numbers to b as
easily-trackable as possible.

- -chris

Re: Numbering schemes for future releases

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 4:48 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought it would be useful to re-open the discussion on this. If there
> is a better plan that the one we currently have I'd like to try and find
> it.
>
> I'm happy to hold off on the current 10.0.0.0-M1 release for a few days
> to give us time look for a better numbering scheme and so we have the
> opportunity to pull the 10.0.0.0-M1 release if necessary.
>
> I have tried to express the various options I have seen proposed in a
> similar way so we can compare them. If I have missed one or you think of
> a different one then please post it.
>
> Option A: The current plan:
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x   (x>=1)
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option B: Continue with existing numbering
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 11.0.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 12.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option C: No stable Jakarta EE 9 release
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.0-Mx
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)
>

> Option D:
> Jakarta EE 9:  10.0.x
> Jakarta EE 10: 10.1.x
> Jakarta EE 11: 11.0.x
> Java EE 8    : 9.y.x    (where y == major Tomcat version)

I think I prefer option A, with D as a secondary. Initially I liked C the
best, but given the conversation I agree that it's probably not the best
way forward. Either way we do it is going to be somewhat confusing for