Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2004/03/06 22:49:53 UTC

Trail taglib

Have just written a new taglib for creating dynamic breadcrumbs called
Trail taglib. [Many thanks to Craig/Struts list for helping with queries].

Basic approach is that pages push themselves onto a trail-stack, and
a normalized version is maintained for showing on a page. ie)

<trail:push label="List Categories"/> <!-- optional uri attribute -->
<trail:list delimiter=" -&gt; "/><br/>

In addition to the normalized user version, a full trail is also
maintained, which could be emailed or stored instead of access logs on
session expiry.

Normalization occurs whenever an element is repeated in a trail, its
http-referer is repeated in a trail [ie sneaky users used the back button]
or possibly when the trail:pop tag is used, though I've not had a need to
use that yet.

Anyway, I've two options:

1) Release on OsJava and offer to Jakarta Taglibs later.
2) Put in the Jakarta Taglibs sandbox.

Any views?

Hen

Re: Trail taglib

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Have just written a new taglib for creating dynamic breadcrumbs called
> Trail taglib. [Many thanks to Craig/Struts list for helping with queries].
>
> Basic approach is that pages push themselves onto a trail-stack, and
> a normalized version is maintained for showing on a page. ie)

Sounds interesting. How about putting a couple of pages up somewhere so
that we can see some JSP source and the resulting HTML?

I assume <trail:list> does something like:

  entry1 -> entry2 -> entry3

when the delimiter is "->". I'm wondering if the taglib supports tree-ish
presentation, like:

  entry1
    |_ entry2
         |_ entry3

or how hard it would be to make it sufficiently general to do that.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Trail taglib

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Ah well, different ways :) I've got in the habit of mavenising everything.

http://www.osjava.org/trail-taglib/index.html

Because part of this is for me to get a grip on how best to organise a
taglib project under maven, I'll work on the example webapp next, but the
How-To page gives the basic idea and the source is pretty tiny.

Anyway, opinions appreciated. [ignoring, why can't I get the Tag Reference
to look correct?].

Hen

Re: Trail taglib

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.