Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Duo Zhang <zh...@apache.org> on 2020/01/08 01:50:13 UTC

[REPORT] HBase Quarterly report Oct-Dec 2019

Hi all,

HBase submits a report to the ASF board once a quarter, to inform the board
about project health. I'm sending the report to the user@ and dev@ mailing
lists because you are the project, and for transparency. If you have any
questions about the report or the running of the project, you can pose them
to any PMC member or committer, or send an email to private@hbase.apache.org
,
which every PMC member subscribes to.

Apache HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, non-relational
database. Apache HBase gives you low latency random access to billions of
rows
with millions of columns atop non-specialized hardware.

hbase-thirdparty is a set of internal artifacts used by the project to
mitigate the impact of our dependency choices on the wider ecosystem.

hbase-connectors is a collection of integration points with other projects.
The initial release includes artifacts for use with Apache Kafka and Apache
Spark.

hbase-filesystem contains HBase project-specific implementations of the
Apache
Hadoop FileSystem API. It is currently experimental and internal to the
project.

hbase-operator-tools is a collection of tools for HBase operators. Now it is
mainly for hosting HBCK2.

hbase-native-client is a client library in C/C++, in its early days.

## Issues:

## Membership Data:
Apache HBase was founded 2010-04-21 (10 years ago)
There are currently 87 committers and 52 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:2.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Guangxu Cheng was added to the PMC on 2019-12-09
- Balazs Meszaros was added to the PMC on 2019-10-24
- Sakthi was added to the PMC on 2019-10-23
- Wellington Chevreuil was added to the PMC on 2019-10-23
- Ankit Singhal was added as committer on 2019-11-13
- Viraj Jasani was added as committer on 2019-12-27

## Project Activity:
Recent releases:

2.1.8 was released on 2019-12-03.
1.4.12 was released on 2019-11-29.
2.2.2 was released on 2019-10-25.
1.4.11 was released on 2019-10-24.
1.3.6 was released on 2019-10-20.
2.1.7 was released on 2019-10-08.

There are lots of users still on branch-1.x, there were some discussions
about
the release plan for branch-1.x.

About the versioning and 1.5.1 release
https://s.apache.org/krmcu

About the EOL of branch-1.3
https://s.apache.org/b2jac

We decided to use GitHub PR instead of Review Board officially, since Review
Board is only available to committers now.
https://s.apache.org/mkkld

We decided to cut branch-2.3 soon and EOL branch-2.1, Nick Dimiduk
volunteered
to be the release manager of branch-2.3.
https://s.apache.org/bwr9g

We discussed the hadoop versions and release plan for 3.0.0, Sean Busbey
volunteered to be the release manager of 3.0.0 and start to make alpha
releases for 3.0.0.
https://s.apache.org/gih8e
https://s.apache.org/u4lfo

## Community Health:
- Mailing list activity:
dev@hbase.apache.org:
990 subscribers(1015 in the previous quarter)
1157 emails sent to list(1297 in the previous quarter)

user@hbase.apache.org:
2121 subscribers(2150 in the previous quarter)
144 emails sent to list(268 in the previous quarter)

- JIRA activity:
312 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (-37% decrease)
211 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (-46% decrease)

- Commit activity:
834 commits in the past quarter (-53% decrease)
73 code contributors in the past quarter (-22% decrease)

- GitHub PR activity:
297 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-27% decrease)
267 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-36% decrease)

I think the number decreasing is partly because the long holiday in China in
October, and also the Chrismas holiday in some western countries in
December.
And also, since branch-2 gets more and more stable, the number of bug fixes
will also be decreased day by day. We have already started to make the 3.0.0
release and bring more new features to the community.