Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/06 18:14:29 UTC

Trouble filing ICLA from Jacek

I filled the form and the committer id should be jacek. But the field is red and it does not try to request the account.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig L Russell
Assistant Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Trouble filing ICLA from Jacek

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
So, we have addressed this issue before but the message isn't complete without extra information.

> With this message, the Whimsy PMC has been notified that your ICLA has been filed.
>
> ** Please contact the Apache Whimsy PMC with any further questions, not the Secretary. Thanks. **
>
> Please provide the Apache Whimsy PMC (copied) with a valid Apache id.
>
> The id must not already be in use. See https://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
> Note that some existing ids include '-' and '_'. These characters are no longer permitted in ids.
>
> The id must consist of lowercase alphanumeric characters only, starting with an alphabetic character.
> Minimum length 3 characters. No special characters.

If you go to the page https://people.apache.org/committer-index.html you will not find the reserved ids listed.

I suggested earlier:
>>> Can we add reserved names to https://people.apache.org/committer-index.html <https://people.apache.org/committer-index.html> which is where we send people to check if their preferred id is already available?
>>> Perhaps entries like this:
>>> SVN ID Name
>>> jacek <reserved>

But given that there are literally hundreds of reserved ids, it is not practical to list them. But given that the requested id does not have any embedded "_" or "-" we should try to make it easier for the submitter to figure out that the id is simply reserved.

I'll propose a patch to www/secretary/workbench/templates/icla-invalid-id.erb that  may clarify that the id is reserved.

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Trouble filing ICLA from Jacek

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

> [...]

>> (Proceed anyway?)
>>

>> Does it really matter why the id is invalid?
>>
>> Whatever the reason, it cannot be used.
>>
>> Seems like completely unnecessary work, given how infrequent this is.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Craig
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2022, at 14:48, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Because it is not allowed.
>>
>> See reserved-ids.yml
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 19:14, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I filled the form and the committer id should be jacek. But the field is red and it does not try to request the account.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Craig
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Assistant Secretary, Apache Software Foundation

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Trouble filing ICLA from Jacek

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

> On Jul 7, 2022, at 06:21, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 14:11, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sebb,
>>
>> I don't think my message was understood.

>>> Note that re-using a reserved ID could mess up code provenance -
>>> effectively it means someone can take over someone else's ID.
>>> Not exactly identity theft, but with many of the same potential consequences.
>>
>> I understand that a reserved id cannot be used again. That was not what I was asking for.
>
> OK
>

>>> Sorry, but I see no valid reason to differentiate why an id is
>>> disallowed, so doing research on it is work I don't wish to undertake.
>>
>> Again, I am not asking for the reason that an id is reserved, just the fact that it is.
>>>
>>> If you wish to know personally whether an entry is in the reserved
>>> list or not, just look at the file which I think is a sibling to
>>> iclas.txt.
>>
>> All i'm asking for is that if a user requests an id that is reserved, that the secretary tool add a line to the response "The id requested is not available. Please contact the (P)PMC with a different id." and add a red box "The id is not available. Continue?"
>>
>> The secretary tool is supposed to be a help to the secretary/assistant. Having mysterious red boxes with no obvious way for the user to tell what is happening is a bug.
>
> Regardless of whether the id is reserved or is currently in use, the
> user must choose a new id.
>
> Why does the user need to know the exact reason?

Again, I'm not asking to know the exact reason or to tell the submitter the exact reason. My suggested message (see above) is
> "The id requested is not available. Please contact the (P)PMC with a different id."

Craig

>> Regards,
>> Craig

>> Craig L Russell
>> clr@apache.org

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Trouble filing ICLA from Jacek

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebb,

> [...]

>> (Proceed anyway?)
>>

>> Does it really matter why the id is invalid?
>>
>> Whatever the reason, it cannot be used.
>>
>> Seems like completely unnecessary work, given how infrequent this is.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Craig
>>
>> On Jul 6, 2022, at 14:48, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Because it is not allowed.
>>
>> See reserved-ids.yml
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 19:14, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I filled the form and the committer id should be jacek. But the field is red and it does not try to request the account.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Craig
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Assistant Secretary, Apache Software Foundation

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Trouble filing ICLA from Jacek

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I'm happy to write a patch if you can give me a hint where the code is that looks at reserved-ids so I can write an update to the red box.

Thanks,
Craig

> On Jul 6, 2022, at 16:05, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 23:53, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation. How do we prevent it in future?
>
> How often does it occur?
>
>> Can we add reserved names to https://people.apache.org/committer-index.html which is where we send people to check if their preferred id is already available?
>> Perhaps entries like this:
>> SVN ID Name
>> jacek <reserved>
>>
>> And surely we can add a red box warning for the secretary to understand that this is a reserved name? Warning: the requested id is in the reserved-ids.yml list.
>> (Proceed anyway?)
>
> Does it really matter why the id is invalid?
>
> Whatever the reason, it cannot be used.
>
> Seems like completely unnecessary work, given how infrequent this is.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Craig
>>
>>> On Jul 6, 2022, at 14:48, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Because it is not allowed.