Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by XorMultiPleXus <xo...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/20 22:57:02 UTC

[users@httpd] linux multithreaded mpm question

Hello,

i am writing a module for apache 2.2 on windows 7 with the default
mpm_winnt; My module requires that apache is run in on process with a
lot threads because i need to use the process memory to store persistent
data - because of performance i cannot use a DB, and if it is possible i
want to avoid using shared memory between processes. No problem with
mpm_winnt. The problem is that my module will be deployed on linux. As i
am a primary a windows programmer, of course, i have a little problem,
because as i have understood from documentation, mpm_winnt if windows
only. The question is, does mpm_winnt work on linux? Is there an
alternative of mpm_winnt for linux? Or can someone give me any directions?

Many thanks for answers
joe

Re: [users@httpd] linux multithreaded mpm question

Posted by XorMultiPleXus <xo...@gmail.com>.
Jeff Trawick  wrote / napísal(a):

> 2010/8/20 XorMultiPleXus <xormultiplexus@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>>
>

>     the worker mpm is a hybrid mpm, that is multi process multi
>     threaded. I've played with it a little, and configured it to run
>     only one process with 100 threads - just for the test. But the
>     result did not work properly.
>

> it should/can/has-for-a-long-time; what was the problem symptom in
> your single-child-process configuration?

it might be a bug on my side, i'll check that tommorow.

Re: [users@httpd] linux multithreaded mpm question

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by XorMultiPleXus <xo...@gmail.com>.
Frank Gingras  wrote / napísal(a):
>  On 20/08/2010 4:57 PM, XorMultiPleXus wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i am writing a module for apache 2.2 on windows 7 with the default
>> mpm_winnt; My module requires that apache is run in on process with a
>> lot threads because i need to use the process memory to store
>> persistent data - because of performance i cannot use a DB, and if it
>> is possible i want to avoid using shared memory between processes. No
>> problem with mpm_winnt. The problem is that my module will be
>> deployed on linux. As i am a primary a windows programmer, of course,
>> i have a little problem, because as i have understood from
>> documentation, mpm_winnt if windows only. The question is, does
>> mpm_winnt work on linux? Is there an alternative of mpm_winnt for
>> linux? Or can someone give me any directions?
>>
>> Many thanks for answers
>> joe

> Joe,
>
> You would want to use the worker mpm on linux.
>
> Frank

Frank,

the worker mpm is a hybrid mpm, that is multi process multi threaded.
I've played with it a little, and configured it to run only one process
with 100 threads - just for the test. But the result did not work properly.

well i hope i won't have to port mpm_winnt to linux ;D.

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.