Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by "michal.warecki" <mi...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/16 21:51:52 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Camel Alerts

List of organizations approved by Google is available on
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2012.

I would like to return to this topic and again to summarize the basic
assumptions.

The monitoring mechanism of the basic metrics such as memory, the
availability of the URL, exceptions etc. will be based on JMX, which will
send the appropriate notifications.

Configuration will be responsible for defining levels of alerts (something
like SLA's) and destinations.
The two protocols that we support are SNMP and SMTP.

So in total I came across a division into 3 layers:
JMX notification layer; a layer of SLA-defined analyzes, and sending alerts;
alerts receiving client layer.

Question for Johan on SNMP:
I have never used the SNMP so forgive me if my questions are inappropriate.
Why should we worry about the MIB? Is it not sufficient if we just send
information such as name of alert, alert type, description, severity, and
the date and assign the user-defined OID?

I understand that we are giving up the support of generic and decide to
support the two protocols as shown in the following example?:

<camelContext id="camel" xmlns="http://camel.apache.org/schema/spring">

         <alerts>
                 <threadPoolAlert id="tpa" profile="fooProfile"
severity="major" threshold="70%"
destination="smtp://admin@mymailserver.com?password=secret"/>
                 <lowMemoryAlert id="lma" pool="PermGen" severity="critical"
threshold="80%"
destination="snmp:192.168.178.23:161?protocol=udp&oids=1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0" />
                 <exceptionAlert id="xa" type="com.foo.MyException"
severity="critical"
destination="snmp:192.168.178.23:161?protocol=udp&oids=1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0" />
         </ alerts>

         <threadPoolProfile id="fooProfile" poolSize="20" maxPoolSize="50"
maxQueueSize="-1"/>

</ camelContext>

Does anyone of you would be willing to register as a mentor and help me in
this project as an official mentor? Of course I will be grateful for the
support of all but I must be assigned to an official mentor :-)

I will be grateful for more clues as to the above described solution.

Cheers,
Michał

Re: [DISCUSS] Camel Alerts

Posted by "michal.warecki" <mi...@gmail.com>.
I read a little bit about SNMP and MIB used by some alerting modules.
Generally, most of these modules does not impose a top-down defined MIB.
User must create a MIB at his own and map suitable OID for a particular type
of alert.

In my view, we can offer a proposal Camel MIB but this is unlikely anything
complicated. It will be rather a MOTable placed in the extension of OID from
the standard MIB (like .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system or.
iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces).

Johan, what do you think about that?

What we certainly need to do is SnmpTrapProducer in SNMP component. I will
try to slightly extend the SNMP component during work on the alerting
module.

In the near future I will design an API for alerting module and will try to
present a proposal.
Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Michał

Re: [DISCUSS] Camel Alerts

Posted by "michal.warecki" <mi...@gmail.com>.
Ohh, now I know what you mean. I was sure that there is a MIB designed for
such tasks. I'll do research, which MIB uses similar platforms to Camel. If
necessary, we will need to design custom MIB or extend existing one.

Johan, many thanks for your help and understanding.

Will there be someone so kind and register as a mentor? I'll try to be a
good student and do not take too much time :-)

Re: [DISCUSS] Camel Alerts

Posted by Johan Edstrom <je...@savoirtech.com>.
Well, a user designed OID is a derivative of a MIB, that
is what tells you what is what.

And there are the two sides to snmp, alerting events and
the polling monitoring side.

So if you look at a router say, CPU/Memory are predefined OID's
in a system mib, then you have interfaces x.25, frame relay and so on.

There are a few mibs I know of in the Java world, like oracle mibs
for their databases

You need those mibs to integrate to traditional monitoring software.

Nothing inappropriate about good questions!

/je