Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/19 14:45:16 UTC

Will the Java 9 version of Derby be compatible with Java 10?

I see that Java 10 is already out.

Do we know much about its interoperability with Java 9?

Java 9 was a big step from Java 8, but maybe the step
from 9 to 10 is smaller?

Will people skip Java 9, and go directly from 8 to 10?

Probably too early to know much about this, but I was
just wondering if people had a vague sense of this.

thanks,

bryan

Re: Will the Java 9 version of Derby be compatible with Java 10?

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 4/19/18 7:45 AM, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> I see that Java 10 is already out.
>
> Do we know much about its interoperability with Java 9?
>
> Java 9 was a big step from Java 8, but maybe the step
> from 9 to 10 is smaller?
>
> Will people skip Java 9, and go directly from 8 to 10?
>
> Probably too early to know much about this, but I was
> just wondering if people had a vague sense of this.
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Hey Bryan,

Right. And an early access version of Java 11 is out now. I haven't
taken Derby for a test-drive on either. Java hasn't abandoned its
backward compatibility guarantees, so both the java8 byte code of 10.14
and the java9 byte code of 10.15 should run on Java 10 and 11. Oracle
has moved to a release-early-release-often model, with a new long-term
support model. Java 11 will be the next long-term support version after
Java 8. For more information, see
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Cheers,

-Rick