Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> on 2003/11/15 20:00:50 UTC

[Configuration] Formatting of digester tag

Oliver,

I was looking through the docs, and the /examples.html was a great way to
go!  Something that kinda jumped out at me, having really looked at the
examples is the case where we want to load up a
HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration:

<dom4j
className="org.apache.commons.configuration.HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration"
     fileName="tables.xml"/>

It looks a little weird to have this optional attribute "className".  I am
thinking that we should change instead to:

 <dom4j fileName="gui.xml"/>  <!--normal dom4j -->
 <hierarchicalDom4j fileName="gui.xml"/>  <!--heriarchical dom4j -->
or
 <hierarchical fileName="gui.xml"/>  <!--heriarchical dom4j -->

I am thinking that this might be a little cleaner..  do you foresee ever
havign multiple classes providing the dom4j implementation?  The className
makes sense if we had 3 or more, but with just two, where the attribute is
optional, it seems a little confusing..  any opinons?

I am hoping to work towards getting the "polish" done on
commons-configuration and then push for a move out of commons sandbox...

Eric

Re: [Configuration] Formatting of digester tag

Posted by Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de>.
Eric Pugh wrote:

>Um..  I would suggest just removing the code..  My fear when it comes to
>undocumented features is that the next committer won't have any idea what is
>going on, and will accidentally break something, especially if we don't have
>a unit test backing it up!

Sounds reasonable, I will remove it.

>Yeah, the question about a singleton is a good one..  There is so much
>opinon back and forth about the value of singletons..  I like them b/c they
>are easy..  I hate them because inevitably someone want's two configurations
>etc..  The singleton pattern can be implemented by many different containers
>if you start going the COP/IOC way..  Basically, I guess if someone wants to
>provide a good singleton implementation that has unit testing, then I'd be
>happy to have it.

True. I think it won't be possible to come up with a solution everybody
is happy with. My idea was to have a very easy way to access
configuration properties without having to bother when and where they
are loaded. But this raises a couple of questions, e.g. where to look
for the configuration definition file, naming conventions, etc.

>If you are deep and down working on ConfigurationXMLDocument, then would you
>like to wait for that before looking to move out of sandbox?
>
>Eric

ConfigurationXMLDocument is nearly finished. If nothing unexpected
happens, I think I will need about two more days for updating the
documentation. Then I can provide a final patch (including the other
points on my todo list).

Oli

RE: [Configuration] Formatting of digester tag

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <Ol...@t-online.de>.
Eric,

I think you are right with that className attribute. I have only
restored support for it (for in the actual implementation it was not
even evaluated) because the examples in the overview.html all had a
className attribute. And at this time this was the easiest possibility
to include HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration as a configuration source for
ConfigurationFactory.

 From a user's point of view it is surely cleaner to have a separate XML