Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hunter Hillegas <li...@lastonepicked.com> on 2001/04/26 20:07:28 UTC

apj12 or apj13 on 3.2.2?

With 3.2.1 I couldn't use apj12 because I needed to do file uploads through
Apache and it just didn't work. I see that bug has been fixed in 3.2.2.

I'm wondering if under 3.2.2, which protocol is faster/scales better for a
popular site?

Any input is appreciated.

Hunter

Posted by Daniel Yawitz <da...@yawitz.com>.
Can anyone give a little wisdom on the best way to approach data
exchange/persistence between a Bean layer and a database?  Specifically,
should the Bean layer "remember" data in between sessions,pageloads,etc, or
should it re-contact the database for every new request?

For example, a simple message board system.  The DB has a single "message"
table.  Should there be a single application-scope Bean that retrieves
initially and holds an object-ized copy of the data from the DB in the JVM?
Each JSP page would get the message board data it needed from the Bean, and
the Bean would only contact the DB when changes needed to be made(new
messages...).

Is this a bad approach, keeping a persistent object representation of DB
data in the JVM?  Else, what is a good alternative approach?  Having no Bean
"memory" and requiring a DB connection for each page request?  Then the Bean
layer is really just for logic separation, i guess.

I'm a newbie, what do I know :)  thanks in advance,
dan

Re: apj12 or apj13 on 3.2.2?

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
>From what I've gathered off this list and the dev list, ajp13 maintains open
socket connections with Apache and reuses them, instead of closing them
after each request like ajp12. So, ajp13 was designed to be faster and more
scaleable. However, if you use ajp13, any time you restart Tomcat you must
restart Apache, too.

I've also heard that the ajp13 code in the 3.3 milestone releases is more
mature than the ajp13 code in the 3.2.x tree. Since the 3.3 mod_jk is
compatible with 3.2.x, I'll probably give that a try. I believe the 3.2.x
mod_jk has several *issues* that probably won't be cleaned up until the 3.3
release.

Thanks,
--jeff