Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2016/10/31 19:29:24 UTC

OpenSSL and crypto export regulations

Hey devs,

I've been looking at this page this morning:
https://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

Still parsing through the fine print, but it seems like we may need to
register Kudu as "containing cryptographic software" before we commit any
of the currently in-flight patches which integrate with OpenSSL.

I'll do a little further reading on this topic, but please hold off on
pushing any SSL-related code until we've determined whether this is
necessary. Of course code reviews can continue :)

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: OpenSSL and crypto export regulations

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
OK, best I could tell, simply linking against OpenSSL and using Java TLS
stuff is enough to trigger this notification requirement, and there are no
real downsides of going through it. (it's just a notification, no need to
wait for review/approval). So, I went ahead and registered us, and I think
we're safe to move forward.

I also added some content to our docs here:
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/4905/

-Todd