Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Frank M. Ramaekers" <FR...@ailife.com> on 2008/01/09 21:25:42 UTC

[users@httpd] VirtualHost and default domain

I have successfully setup three virtual hosts.

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName abc.domain.com
  ServerAlias def.domain.com
  DocumentRoot /var/www/html
   :
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName xyz.domain.com
  DocumentRoot /home/www/xyz
   :
</VirtualHost>

This seems to work fine except when only the xyz host name is type (i.e.
without the domain name entered)

abc			->	/var/www/html
abc.domain.com	->	/var/www/html
def			->	/var/www/html
xyz			->	/var/www/html *WRONG*
xyz.domain.com	->	/home/www/xyz

Is there anything that can be configured in Apache to handle this?  I
want to enter the host name only (abc, def or xyz) and receive the
correct site.

TIA,

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer                   MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co.   Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr.                Fax:   (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas  76701

This message contains information which is privileged and confidential and is solely for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure,
copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please destroy it immediately and notify us at PrivacyAct@ailife.com.

Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost and default domain

Posted by Pau Garcia i Quiles <pg...@elpauer.org>.
Quoting Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>:

You can have more than one ServerName (provided they are in different
VirtualHost directives):
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

> If I'm not mistaken, you should use only ONE overall
> ServerName-directive in your configs, the rest should be handled with
> ServerAlias (even having multiple VHosts)
>
> Meaning, if you change
>
> ServerName xyz.domain.com

> ServerAlias xyz.domain.com
>
> it should work.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gregor
> --
> what's puzzlin' you, is the nature of my game
> gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2
> gpgp-key available @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de:11371

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost and default domain

Posted by "Frank M. Ramaekers" <FR...@ailife.com>.
Thanks that did the trick...oh I forgot one other possibility:

abc.domain.com/xyz	-> /home/www/xyz

(perhaps a rewrite to xyz.domain.com as well)

Frank M. Ramaekers Jr.
Systems Programmer                   MCP, MCP+I, MCSE & RHCE
American Income Life Insurance Co.   Phone: (254)761-6649
1200 Wooded Acres Dr.                Fax:   (254)741-5777
Waco, Texas  76701

> I have successfully setup three virtual hosts.
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>   ServerName abc.domain.com
>   ServerAlias def.domain.com
>   DocumentRoot /var/www/html
>    :
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *>
>   ServerName xyz.domain.com
>   DocumentRoot /home/www/xyz
>    :
> </VirtualHost>
>

> This seems to work fine except when only the xyz host name is type
(i.e.
> without the domain name entered)
>
> abc			->	/var/www/html
> abc.domain.com	->	/var/www/html
> def			->	/var/www/html
> xyz			->	/var/www/html *WRONG*
> xyz.domain.com	->	/home/www/xyz
>
> Is there anything that can be configured in Apache to handle this?  I
> want to enter the host name only (abc, def or xyz) and receive the
> correct site.

The default virtual host is the first one (the one with DocumentRoot
/var/www/html in your case). When you access http://xyz, you are
accessing a site which is not matched by any virtual host, therefore
Apache shows the default virtual host. Adding a "ServerAlias xyz"
below "ServerName xyz.domain.com" should fix it.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Posted by Pau Garcia i Quiles <pg...@elpauer.org>.