Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Craig Heilman <cr...@bugsoft.com> on 2005/03/23 22:40:36 UTC

Mac OS X - best setup for small developer?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of installing subversion under Mac OS X 10.3.8 and
I have a few "best practices" questions. I've browsed the FAQ and I'm
wading through the svn-book but I still need some help.

First my basic setup and requirements. I have a desktop development
machine (PowerMac dual 2 GHz G5) and a laptop (PowerBook 1.5 GHz F4).
I do most development on the desktop machine but occasionally I have
to go to a client site with the laptop. I had been using VooDoo but
it's not OS X native and it's stopped working properly with the
latest OS releases.

I'd like to be able to not only have a working copy of the code on
the laptop, but also be able to access older versions from the
repository. Unfortunately, most clients do not allow "foreign"
machines on their networks, so I'd probably need a copy of the
repository(s) on the laptop rather than trying to access it via the
Internet. When the laptop repository(s) is "active", the desktop
repository would not be in use (there's only one of me).

(1) Would it be easiest to use "local" access (as depicted in Figure
1.1 of "The Book") between the client and repository on each machine
and simply duplicate the repository(s) from desktop to laptop before
a trip and then from laptop to desktop after returning (e.g. using
Synchronize! Plus from Qdea)?

(2) Any benefits in my situation to using svnserve or mod_dav_svn
under Apache rather than local access?

(3) I'm planning on using fsfs for the repository - no major problems
with that under Mac OS X I should know about?

(4) Although the "Book" says you can put multiple projects in one
repository, is there any advantage to having a repository for each
project (most my projects are just text code files)?

Thanks,

Craig

Re: Mac OS X - best setup for small developer?

Posted by Tom Mornini <tm...@infomania.com>.

Re: Mac OS X - best setup for small developer?

Posted by Michael Hogsett <ho...@csl.sri.com>.
Craig Heilman wrote:
> (1) Would it be easiest to use "local" access (as depicted in Figure 1.1
> of "The Book") between the client and repository on each machine and
> simply duplicate the repository(s) from desktop to laptop before a trip
> and then from laptop to desktop after returning (e.g. using Synchronize!
> Plus from Qdea)?

What about external storage (e.g. USB 2.0 flash drive) for the repo?  This
way there is one repo, and both hosts access it locally.  Just unmount/unplug
it from the (beautiful frosted aluminum) G5 and plug it into your Powerbook
when you need to.  To backup I'd just periodically create a .dmg of the storage
device and place it on a volume on the G5 that is backed up regularly and perform
an 'svnadmin hotcopy' also.

The PQI 1Gbyte iStick comes to mind :
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=istick%201Gb&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&safe=active&sa=N&tab=wf

The only drawback of the PQI iStick is that they are easily misplaced
(they are about the size of two pennies side by side).

  - Mike Hogsett

Re: Mac OS X - best setup for small developer?

Posted by Aaron Hilton <ot...@uvic.ca>.
On 23-Mar-05, at 8:53 PM, Dave Camp wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Craig Heilman wrote:
>
>> (2) Any benefits in my situation to using svnserve or mod_dav_svn
>> under Apache rather than local access?
>
> That requires Apache 2.0 (unless I'm mistaken) and Mac OS X client
> ships with Apache 1.x. You would have to manually install Apache 2.0
> alongside the existing Apache. I've seen instructions on the net for
> this but I've not tried it myself.

I have configured Apache 2 under Mac OS X with relative ease using
Fink.  The real benefit of accessing your repository through the web
server is the ability to log in from anywhere and browse the contents
of your repository.  Then you can pull word or pdf documents for your
client at times when you're caught without your laptop.  You can also
grant your client access to the repository without being forced to
create a whole unix account under Mac OS X.

Details here:
http://fink.sourceforge.net/
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/08/10/subversion.html

I would instal Fink, then using that, install the apache 2 web server
and SVN packages.  The apache 2 configuration will co-exist with the
default Mac OS X Client Apache 1.3 server.

It's good you chose FSFS because I had corruption, hanging, and other
problems while using BDB.  Once I converted over to FSFS there have
been no further issues. Note, the hanging may have been from the
particular version of Apache 2 I had installed, so I would recommend
getting the very latest release of apache under the "unstable" branch
under fink. You will have to modify /sw/etc/fink.conf to do this.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
- Aaron.

Re: Mac OS X - best setup for small developer?

Posted by Richard Jolly <ri...@mac.com>.

On Thursday, March 24, 2005, at 04:55AM, Dave Camp <da...@thinbits.com> wrote:

>On Mar 23, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Craig Heilman wrote:
>
>> I'd like to be able to not only have a working copy of the code on the
>> laptop, but also be able to access older versions from the repository.
>> Unfortunately, most clients do not allow "foreign" machines on their
>> networks, so I'd probably need a copy of the repository(s) on the
>> laptop rather than trying to access it via the Internet. When the
>> laptop repository(s) is "active", the desktop repository would not be
>> in use (there's only one of me).

[snip]

Perhaps svk would help you?

http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/03/03/svk.html

[snip]

>> (4) Although the "Book" says you can put multiple projects in one
>> repository, is there any advantage to having a repository for each
>> project (most my projects are just text code files)?
>
>I would guess the tradeoff is convenience for sharing files (single
>repository) vs not putting all of your eggs in one basket (multiple
>repositories). If you are storing archives for your clients (i.e. you
>are a consultant or contractor) you might be better off with separate
>repositories to keep their source completely separate.

This is my approach - one repository per client. But I think it really depends on if you are likely to share code/files across clients. Anything thats shared benefits from being in a single repository.

Richard

Re: Mac OS X - best setup for small developer?

Posted by Dave Camp <da...@thinbits.com>.
On Mar 23, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Craig Heilman wrote:

> I'd like to be able to not only have a working copy of the code on the
> laptop, but also be able to access older versions from the repository.
> Unfortunately, most clients do not allow "foreign" machines on their
> networks, so I'd probably need a copy of the repository(s) on the
> laptop rather than trying to access it via the Internet. When the
> laptop repository(s) is "active", the desktop repository would not be
> in use (there's only one of me).
>
> (1) Would it be easiest to use "local" access (as depicted in Figure
> 1.1 of "The Book") between the client and repository on each machine
> and simply duplicate the repository(s) from desktop to laptop before a
> trip and then from laptop to desktop after returning (e.g. using
> Synchronize! Plus from Qdea)?

The previous solution of using a USB flash drive is a good one, if your
repository will fit and you find the speed acceptable.

If you have a .Mac account, turning on the preference to keep a local
copy of your iDisk might also be an option. You would always access the
repository locally and sync back to iDisk before and after a trip.

> (2) Any benefits in my situation to using svnserve or mod_dav_svn
> under Apache rather than local access?

That requires Apache 2.0 (unless I'm mistaken) and Mac OS X client
ships with Apache 1.x. You would have to manually install Apache 2.0
alongside the existing Apache. I've seen instructions on the net for
this but I've not tried it myself.

> (4) Although the "Book" says you can put multiple projects in one
> repository, is there any advantage to having a repository for each
> project (most my projects are just text code files)?

I would guess the tradeoff is convenience for sharing files (single
repository) vs not putting all of your eggs in one basket (multiple
repositories). If you are storing archives for your clients (i.e. you
are a consultant or contractor) you might be better off with separate
repositories to keep their source completely separate.

Dave

Re: Mac OS X - best setup for small developer?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 23, 2005, at 4:40 PM, Craig Heilman wrote:

> (4) Although the "Book" says you can put multiple projects in one
> repository, is there any advantage to having a repository for each
> project (most my projects are just text code files)?

Look at this part of the book:

   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s04.html#svn-ch-5-sect-6.1

"There are benefits to using a single repository for  multiple
projects, most obviously the lack of duplicated  maintenance. A single
repository means that there is one set  of hook scripts, one thing to
routinely backup, one thing to  dump and load if Subversion releases an
incompatible new  version, and so on. Also, you can move data between
projects  easily, and without losing any historical versioning
information.
The downside of using a single repository is that  different projects
may have different commit mailing lists or  different authentication
and authorization requirements."