Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Tim Dudgeon <td...@informaticsmatters.com> on 2006/09/19 11:57:42 UTC

reading a blob column seems slow

I have a table that has a blob column. When the select statement
includes that column it runs much slower than if it is not included, and
this seems quite a bit slower than for other databases (oracle, mysql,
hsql).
The time taken seems to be when reading the blob from the ResultSet.
Is there any recommended way to read from a blob (to get a String) so as
to maximise performance? I'm using derby.storage.pageSize=32768, but
otherwise than that default values.

Thanks
Tim