Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Christian Kunz <ck...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2008/12/09 04:38:39 UTC

Reset hadoop servers

Is there support to tell hadoop servers (tasktracker, datanode, ....)
to re-read configuration, or fully reset, or to shut down (without an
external kill)?

Re: Reset hadoop servers

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Christian Kunz wrote:
> Is there support to tell hadoop servers (tasktracker, datanode, ....)
> to re-read configuration, or fully reset, or to shut down (without an
> external kill)?

Some of the lifecycle stuff that Is now targeted at 0.21 will be able to
do this.

I will put up a new patch soon (in sync with SVN_HEAD), and would
welcome more work integrating it with different management tools. To
propagate configuration changes around you also need to get the
configuration in from places other than XML files on the classpath. i've
retrofitted exactly that into our own code by subclassing JobConf, but
something cleaner could be done, something that would be directly driven
off LDAP or other databases as well as SmartFrog

-steve

Re: Reset hadoop servers

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Dec 9, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2008, at 2:22 AM, Devaraj Das wrote:
>
>> I know that the tasktracker/jobtracker doesn't have any command for
>> re-reading the configuration. There is built-in support for
>> restart/shut-down but those are via external scripts that
>> internally do a
>> kill/start.
>
> Actually, HADOOP-4348 does add a refresh command to map/reduce. I'm
> not sure if it re-reads the entire config or just part of it.

HADOOP-4348 adds a refresh only for the authorization configs...

Arun

Re: Reset hadoop servers

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Dec 9, 2008, at 2:22 AM, Devaraj Das wrote:

> I know that the tasktracker/jobtracker doesn't have any command for
> re-reading the configuration. There is built-in support for
> restart/shut-down but those are via external scripts that internally
> do a
> kill/start.

Actually, HADOOP-4348 does add a refresh command to map/reduce. I'm
not sure if it re-reads the entire config or just part of it.

-- Owen

Re: Reset hadoop servers

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@yahoo-inc.com>.