Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Warhurst, SI (Spencer) " <S....@rl.ac.uk> on 2002/12/12 13:07:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Aliases and lots of them!

Hi

I run a Listserv mailing list server and currently the path to an individual
list's archive page is:

http://www.somewhere.com/lists/mylist.html

What I want to do is make it so that all a user has to type is:

http://www.somewhere.com/mylist

Now, that's dead easy with the line in http.conf:

Alias /mylist "e:/www/lists/mylist.html"

However, there are over 4,000 lists on our server which means rather alot of
Alias lines in http.conf, so my questions are:

1) Would that be a performance issue for Apache? Presumably it loads the
config into memory, so it would use up more memory, but our server has a gig
of memory and plenty spare so that shouldn't be a problem. What I am
wondering is if everytime a request is received by Apache, would it have to
check through 4,000+ aliases everytime and could that slow the server down?

2) I plan to keep this 4,000+ Alias list up to date by running a Perl script
every night that runs through every list on the server and creates an Alias
list and replaces the one currently in http.conf. However, that raises a
couple of further questions:

a) I would rather keep this list in a separate text file so that I'm not
having to actually modify http.conf. Is it possible to do this and have a
line in http.conf that points to the file so that it loads those aliases up?

b) Apache has to be restarted for changes in http.conf to take effect. This
is no problem in the middle of the night as my log cycling script stops &
restarts Apache anyway. However, apart from the nightly rebuild of the alias
list, I have a new-list script that will also need to add to the alias list
and that can be run at any time during the day when a restart is much less
desirable. Is a special type of config file that might solve all my problems
here and doesn't require a restart?

Thanks

--
Spencer Warhurst

Re: [users@httpd] Aliases and lots of them!

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

You might want to investigate mod_rewrite, it can perform this sort
of redirection on the fly and invisibly to the client:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

HTH.

Chris Taylor - The guy with the PS2 WebServer
Email: chris@x-bb.org - PGP: http://www.x-bb.org/chris.asc

Posted by Kirk Bailey <id...@netzero.net>.

Posted by "i.t" <i....@ithum.de>.
msg Donnerstag 12 Dezember 2002 13:07 by Warhurst, SI (Spencer) :

> 1) Would that be a performance issue for Apache? Presumably it loads the
> config into memory, so it would use up more memory, but our server has a
> gig of memory and plenty spare so that shouldn't be a problem. What I am

should not...
> wondering is if everytime a request is received by Apache, would it have to
> check through 4,000+ aliases everytime and could that slow the server down?

no - starting may take a very little longer

> 2) I plan to keep this 4,000+ Alias list up to date by running a Perl
> script every night that runs through every list on the server and creates
> an Alias list and replaces the one currently in http.conf. However, that
> raises a couple of further questions:
>
> a) I would rather keep this list in a separate text file so that I'm not
> having to actually modify http.conf. Is it possible to do this and have a
> line in http.conf that points to the file so that it loads those aliases
> up?

include aliaslist.conf

> b) Apache has to be restarted for changes in http.conf to take effect. This
> is no problem in the middle of the night as my log cycling script stops &
> restarts Apache anyway. However, apart from the nightly rebuild of the
> alias list, I have a new-list script that will also need to add to the
> alias list and that can be run at any time during the day when a restart is
> much less desirable. Is a special type of config file that might solve all
> my problems here and doesn't require a restart?

graceful
keeps the child processes running

Regards

--