Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Eric Rank <er...@lo-fi.net> on 2007/02/27 23:32:58 UTC

[S2] Single quote in package.properties

This should be an easy one.

When putting a single quote in a package.properties resource bundle
entry, by default, the quote get's removed and none of the variables
in the entry get loaded.

1. What's the best way to have an entry with a single quote?
Using &apos; with <s:property value="%{message}" escape="false" />
works, but is this the only way?

2. What are the rules behind how the single quotes work in the
package.properties files? Said differently, what's the intended and
expected behavior of a string with a single quote?

=================================

For example, in the package.properties file:

message.myMessage=I've added a single quote in the first word. and
this variable {0} will not get populated

renders as:

"Ive added a single quote in the first word. and this variable {0}
will not get populated"

when I expect:

I've added a single quote in the first word. and this variable
VariableSentIn will not get populated

Re: [S2] Single quote in package.properties

Posted by Eric Rank <er...@lo-fi.net>.
Thanks Alexander,

I still think I'm missing something though. From the Javadoc:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html

<snip>
Escapes are not necessary for single and double quotes; however, by
the rule above, single and double quote characters preceded by a
backslash still yield single and double quote characters, respectively.
</snip>

This would suggest that a single quote would be fine and appear as
expected. However, since single quotes disappear, this suggests to me
that struts2 is doing something a little more. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

Posted by ab...@br.ibm.com.