Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vardan <vp...@saigun.com> on 2007/05/22 14:57:03 UTC

how to read login info

Dear All ,
                Can we have windows Login credentials like user name or
domain name,to make my application single signon.
Scenario
1.User login into Windows and hit http://abc:8080/product
2.The request comes to logOn action,so at this point is it possible to
fetch user domain name or login user name

Thanks
Vardan

Re: how to read login info

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
If you simply want to open a personalised page when they return to
http://abc:8080/product, just save a cookie the first time they login so
you know who they are the next time they come back.

If you genuinely want to authenticate the user using their windows login
credentials:
On the server-side you can authenticate the user against an LDAP server
or Active Directory so that you don't have to store/duplicate their
credentials in your database. You'd need to read up on JAAS - a good
resource is http://www.jaasbook.com/.  It's not trivial, but essentially
you just need to create a javax.security.auth.login.LoginContext with
the right parameters to access the LDAP/Active Directory server.

This still however requires the credentials to be passed from the client
to your server.

On the client-side, hopefully there's no way to obtain the user's login
credentials from the local machine and post them automatically to your
server.  You can however store their credentials in a cookie after the
first time they've logged in to allow automatic logins or just allow
them to save them in the browser if they choose to.  Forcing the users
to store their domain credentials in a cookie is generally a bad idea
though.

I think there's an ActiveX solution for true single sign-on, but I
suspect that's not what you're actually after.