Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Gregor v. Bochmann" <bo...@site.uottawa.ca> on 2000/11/17 16:45:56 UTC

NoClassDefFoundError in Tomcat installation

I have just installed the tomcat system under Windows NT and want to serve
some jsp pages. When the first jsp page is executed, I get the
NoClassDefFoundError message (the error message is given below).

Does somebody have an idea what is wrong ?

Can somebody tell me how to obtain a more detailed error log ?

I got the error message below by executing the
    /examples/jsp/sessions/carts.html
page in the examples provided with the tomcat system and then by clicking
on the ADD button.

Thanks for any help

Gregor v. Bochmann
----------------------

Unhandled error! You might want to consider having an error page to report
such errors more gracefully

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.java:128)
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:238)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.loadJSP(JspServlet.java:413)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(JspSe
rvlet.java:149)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.ja
va:161)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:261)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:369)
        at
        at
        at
onnectionHandler.java:160)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Gregor v. Bochmann          Tel (613) 562-5800 ext. 6205, Fax 562-5175
School of Information Technology & Engineering,   University of Ottawa
161 Louis Pasteur(CBY A617),PO.Box 450,Stn A,Ottawa,Ont,K1N 6N5,Canada
email:bochmann@site.uottawa.ca  <http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~bochmann>