Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2003/02/18 05:01:12 UTC

Browser selector

FYI,
It looks like you do
	"User-Agent:"  contains "Nokia"
to trigger the WAP browser type in the BrowserSelector in the default sitemap.

This is not a good idea, unfortunately, as Nokia 9000 series is HTML capable,
and has the "Nokia" word in the "User-Agent" header, effectively returning
the wrong content.

In case of Nokia, one should look at the "Accepts:" header and look for "wml"
instead, but not sure about other phones and PDAs.

Niclas

Re: Browser selector

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 18 February 2003 22:12, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> It's a browser selector, not an accepts-selector ;-)

Well, I know that, but it is "labeled" as "WAP" which is "content", and not
"browser" as well.

> I guess, the User-Agent header of Nokia 9000 has any specific part, so
> you can change the browser selector string to your needs. We for example
> use it to differ between different versions of Mozilla.

Sure I can get it to work, but I am just recommending a change, as most people
wouldn't think of the Nokia 9000 being a HTML browser (I have the exact same
problem in my JServ hack, and took ~2 years after WAP/WML launch to be
reported).

Niclas

Re: Browser selector

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.