Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Carl Brewer <ca...@bl.echidna.id.au> on 2004/09/17 04:15:54 UTC

[mp2] how far off feature-freeze is mp2?

Hello Stas et al,
Just a quick question; how far off a feature-freeze is MP2?
ie: if I wanted to write a moderatly serious e-commerce app
in mp, is it safe to use mp2 and apreq2?

thanks!

Carl

Re: [mp2] how far off feature-freeze is mp2?

Posted by Matthew Darwin <ma...@mdarwin.ca>.
I'm using mp2 production now.

http://demo:guide@nddemo.peregrine.com

Server: Apache/2.0.50 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_14 Perl/v5.8.3 DAV/2

--
Matthew Darwin
matthew@mdarwin.ca

Re: [mp2] how far off feature-freeze is mp2?

Posted by Thomas Hilbig <th...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:

> > Okay, but I want my (quasi-production) environment
> > remain stable and I don't want to expose it to
> > constant patches.  This will be even more
> important
> > once 2.0 becomes official. Maybe this doesn't
> really
> > apply to MP, but I also wouldn't want to break any
> > dependencies that other modules have (i.e. MP may
> > require an update to httpd, which breaks something
> > else).  (Of course, I wouldn't have this concern
> if I
> > had another system for pure development.)
>
> A properly designed production system, has a
> thorough test suite and a
> staging machine(s), so any new upgrade goes through
> it. You can't just go,
> upgrade the software and hope that it'll work. Any
> new version may
> introduce new bugs, so you are never protected if
> you don't thoroughly
> test *your* system.

Agreed.  I don't have the luxury of having the
required hardware, so I could not consider this a true
production environment.  Hence why I called it
quasi-production; perhaps production-wanna-be would
have been a better term.

Re: [mp2] how far off feature-freeze is mp2?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
> Okay, but I want my (quasi-production) environment to
> remain stable and I don't want to expose it to
> constant patches.  This will be even more important
> once 2.0 becomes official. Maybe this doesn't really
> apply to MP, but I also wouldn't want to break any
> dependencies that other modules have (i.e. MP may
> require an update to httpd, which breaks something
> else).  (Of course, I wouldn't have this concern if I
> had another system for pure development.)

A properly designed production system, has a thorough test suite and a
staging machine(s), so any new upgrade goes through it. You can't just go,
upgrade the software and hope that it'll work. Any new version may
introduce new bugs, so you are never protected if you don't thoroughly
test *your* system.

>>Hence there is no need
>>for an overhead of
>>managing a bug tracking system. Those that aren't
>>fixed are listed in the
>>STATUS file, and/or in the todo/ directory.
>>

> Bugzilla is a scary monster -- and its probably one of
> the lighter ones.  Even posting a master spreadsheet
> or html table that includes historical bug details
> (not just summary) would be very useful.

The developer team is too small and we have no time to manage a bug
tracking system, if we get more people give us hand we may consider
opening up a bug tracking system. Meanwhile if you want to search for bug
reports you can search the mailing list archive.

And we already have the RT system via CPAN, but nobody looks at it:
http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=mod_perl
I had no idea someone has reported the bugs. RT needs to send those bugs
to the modperl list. Last time I tried to make that happen, it didn't work
due to some email blocking issues at apache.org :(

Re: [mp2] how far off feature-freeze is mp2?

Posted by Thomas Hilbig <th...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Thomas Hilbig <th...@yahoo.com>.
I have to admit that I have been using MP2 in a
quasi-production environment.  It has been very stable
(no crashes) but I have been very shy to apply any new
changes for some time (Apache 2.0.46, mod_perl
1.99_10, OpenSSL 0.9.7b) for fear it would de-stablize
the environment.  I am very much looking forward to
the official MP 2.0 designation to upgrade my system
some weekend.

I hope I'm not re-hashing an old issue, but I have
always found the MP bug tracking to be difficult.  If
I see something peculiar (possible bug) there isn't a
bug database to search to see if it is new, or fixed
in later versions.  Is there no repository for logging
MP bugs?  Why isn't MP part of the bugzilla database?
Of course the mail-list may still be the best way to
report the bugs.

Tom