Posted to dev@deltaspike.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/09 08:59:58 UTC

security: why creating thg from scratch?

Hi,

maybe i missed some discussion but here is the question: why not using an
existing framework? i particularly think of Shiro which is really fine and
simply needs

   - a CDI integration (pretty easy and obvious to do)
   - a JPA implementation

- Romain

Re: security: why creating thg from scratch?

Posted by Boleslaw Dawidowicz <bo...@gmail.com>.
IIRC when it was initially discussed everyone agreed some integration with Shiro should be provided. Also it was not addressing all use cases that were initially submitted (like IDM model).

I personally think that having consistent user friendly security API will be good for adoption. Additionally with APIs that were already discussed it is possible to plug Shiro as an identity/security provider and such integration is desired.

Bolek

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
not totally agree, security framework we are talking about are API so we
add an API on an API...IMHO DS should be about CDI integration and default
"enterprise" impl (JPA)

i understand quite easily it is easy to want to start from scratch since we
do what we want but it sounds confusing and not consistent from an Apache
point of view for me, the point would better be to contribute the projects
to enhance them with missing functionnalities i think

- Romain

Posted by Glh <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shane,

Thank you, it helps me a lot :)

Regards.
Glh

Re: security: why creating thg from scratch?

Posted by Shane Bryzak <sb...@redhat.com>.
Hi Glh,

The security features that we've implemented in DeltaSpike are intended
to provide a basic typesafe mechanism for method and class
authorization, while leaving the implementation side of things up to the
developer and 3rd party security frameworks.  I'm not sure if other
security projects have planned support for DeltaSpike, but at JBoss
we've been very busy working on PicketLink 3.0, which is built on top of
the DeltaSpike security SPI to provide a full featured security
framework.  PicketLink 3.0 is the spiritual successor to Seam Security,
and provides all of the same features (plus a whole lot more).  We're
very close to a beta release, and hopefully will have a final release
available over the next few months.  It should also be quite easy to
integrate other frameworks such as Apache Shiro with the DeltaSpike
security annotations, someone would just need to put in a little time
and effort to make it work.

Shane

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I'm actually questioning myself why we have the 'modules' folder at all.
Do we like to have anything else apart from it?

If not, then we move the modules in parallel to core ...

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.
We want to start a vote JUST on reusing an existing security API (sounds
like Shiro) for building a new API for IDM?

Just trying to understand exactly what people are asking the vote to be
about.

http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lightguardjp

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: security: why creating thg from scratch?

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Porter <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anil Saldhana <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi @ all,

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@gmail.com>.
Yes, fully agree.

Posted by Mehdi Heidarzadeh <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
The point was shiro and sprin sec are mainly API so why redefining another
one?

- Romain

Posted by Anil Saldhana <an...@gmail.com>.
Rather than marry into one security framework (Shiro),  Deltaspike should
enable all security frameworks to provide integration. That includes a DS
integration from Shiro.

I think this is what the replies on this thread seem to imply. :)

Posted by Boleslaw Dawidowicz <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@ romain:

Posted by Shane Bryzak <sb...@redhat.com>.
We're hardly starting from scratch, much of the DeltaSpike security
design is an "improved" re-visiting of Seam Security, which has been
actively developed and improved for a number of years.  I've also taken
a look at Shiro and while it has many cool features, it also seems to be
missing some critical features like Identity and Permission Management.
Its identity model also doesn't satisfy some of the use cases we've
identified (such as its simplified named roles). This is not to say that
we can't provide interfaces for developers who wish to use Shiro, but I
think we're moving in the right direction by building a security module
purpose-built for developing Java EE/CDI applications.