Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Joe Labbe <jl...@earthlink.net> on 2002/02/26 19:53:08 UTC

contributing to Jakarta

Hello Everyone -

I am working on a project porting one of the oldest dynamic content
servers to the Java platform. The WebDish Presentation Server was
originally released in 93, and in 95 was named as the platform of
choice by Charles Schwab for their transition to the web. Since then,
the marketplace has been flooded with other solutions, and I'm trying
to see if I can inject new life into WebDish by integrating it with Java

technology.

I have discussed with my employers the benefits of developing a project
as an open source product. As their interest was in the original version

in C, I am confident I can convince them to release rights to the Java
version. What I want to know is: would there be any interest from the
Jakarta program in including WebDish as one of their subprojects?

I have set up a web site where I will be publishing
documentation and evaluation releases during the process of the port,
The site is at http://home.earthlink.net/~jlabbe/webdish.html.
Please feel free to peruse this and email me with your thoughts
and suggestions.

Thanks for your attention-

    Joe Labbe
jlabbe@earthlink.net

Re: contributing to Jakarta

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:53:08AM -0800, Joe Labbe wrote:
> Hello Everyone -
>
> I am working on a project porting one of the oldest dynamic content
> servers to the Java platform. The WebDish Presentation Server was
> originally released in 93, and in 95 was named as the platform of
> choice by Charles Schwab for their transition to the web. Since then,
> the marketplace has been flooded with other solutions, and I'm trying
> to see if I can inject new life into WebDish by integrating it with Java
> technology.
>
> I have discussed with my employers the benefits of developing a project
> as an open source product. As their interest was in the original version
>
> in C, I am confident I can convince them to release rights to the Java
> version. What I want to know is: would there be any interest from the
> Jakarta program in including WebDish as one of their subprojects?

How about starting off at Sourceforge first?

WebDish sounds like an interesting, ahead-of-it's-time product. It seems
that because of it's pioneering nature, it has it's own alternatives to
the now-prevalent standards ("servitons" instead of servlets, .jpn
instead of JSP). In principle, I think most people here would stick with
the industry standards implemented by many app servers (notably Tomcat),
rather than those concocted only for WebDish. The Servlet API is also
one of the nicest to come from Sun, so a proprietary alternative would
have to be *very* good to capture any developer mindshare.

I'd say, abandon WebDish and instead apply the lessons learned to build
something equivalent on top of Tomcat+Turbine/Cocoon. The result may not
be as architecturally coherent, but it is much likelier to attract
developer mindshare, and ultimately be profitable for your company. It's
also more fun working in teams than soldiering on on your own, as a lone
cathedral-builder, ignoring the world and in turn being ignored.
Developers of your caliber are very very welcome at Jakarta ;)

--Jeff

(whose opinions are highly uninformed when it comes to WebDish, and
apologises if they're based on misunderstandings)