Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by taylan kuecuek <ku...@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2006/09/18 09:25:08 UTC

Tomcat + SSL

Hallo

i am trying to develop a web application with servlets and JSPs. i want
to use Tomcat as container. but i have some problems.

1) i need ssl but i don't know how i should configure ssl. Should i
install Apache web server and konfigure apache to provide ssl ? in this
case tomcat will be used
only as jsp and servlet container. or i don't need apache webserver? can
i have ssl only with Tomcat? if yes how can i configure it

2) what is the differencies between "apache and tomcat together to use"
and "only tomcat for these purposes to use"?

3)  i have now at http://localhost apache on port 80,
at https://localhost, ssl (por 443)
and at  http://localhost:8080 tomcat.

how should it be by a normal application which provide ssl and servlet+jsp

Thanks

Taylan

RE: Tomcat + SSL

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: taylan kuecuek [mailto:kuecuek@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de]
> Subject: Tomcat + SSL
>
> 1) i need ssl but i don't know how i should configure ssl. Should i
> install Apache web server and konfigure apache to provide ssl?

Unless you have some other pressing need for Apache httpd (e.g., load
balancing across multiple Tomcat installations), I wouldn't bother with
it.  Doc for configuring SSL in Tomcat is at:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssl-howto.html
and it works.

> 3)  i have now at http://localhost apache on port
> 80, at https://localhost, ssl (por 443) and at
> http://localhost:8080 tomcat.

Remove (or disable) Apache httpd, and configure Tomcat to use 80 and
443:

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.