Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Alexander Leidinger <Al...@Leidinger.net> on 2001/01/24 11:26:18 UTC

general/7121: Language negotiation seems broken

>Number:         7121
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Language negotiation seems broken
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD 4.2-stable, gcc 2.95.2

> pkg_info -aI |grep apache
apache+mod_ssl-1.3.14+2.7.1_1

> pkg_info -aI | grep php
mod_php4-4.0.4pl1

httpd.conf (not in a virtual host section):
---snip---
AddLanguage en .en
AddLanguage fr .fr
AddLanguage de .de
AddLanguage de_DE .de
AddLanguage da .da
AddLanguage el .el
AddLanguage it .it
LanguagePriority de de_DE en fr
DefaultLanguage en
---snip---
in a virtual host section:
---snip---
DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php3 index.php
---snip---
and some virtual hosts (no default host, only virtual hosts).

In DocumentRoot:
---snip---
index.html.de
index.html.en
---snip---
(no index.html!)

Browser setting: Language priority: de en

More available at request.
After an update from 1.3.9 to 1.3.14 the "*Language*" directives
seem to have changed behavior, I get index.html.en instead
of index.html.de.
Yes, I didn't changed the browser preferences, I'm sure about this
because I did a test before and after the update and
I wanted to have the same testsettings.
Directly accessing the .de or .en file works as expected.
Removing "DefaultLanguage" didn't changes this behavior.

(BTW.: seems not to be related, same behavior with 1.3.9: MSIE 5.5x
 says it isn't able to get an acceptable language variant, perhaps it's
 worth to be mentioned in the "browser bugs" page)
>How-To-Repeat:
1.
setup a host as described in the environment section.

2.
At http://www.leidinger.net/ I have index.html.de and index.html.en,
if you instruct your browser (I used Netscape 4.7x and Mozilla 0.7)
to prefer de instead of en, it should show something different than if
you prefer en over de (http://www.leidinger.net/X/ has more text, so it may
be a better testcase).
>Fix:
No, I haven't looked into the source.